Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v_lestat Quote
oh i am no troll you can bank on that. i am excited about the k-5 but just want clarification on the images i am seeing posted here quite often.
my manual lenses i intend on using, and this is not related to my core question. is an Atan P-MC 28-70 2.8~4.2 (k-mount)
M42 - Yashinon-DS 50mm 1.4 - 'Sears' 135mm F/2.8 and another Asahi 58mm

anyways dont start off looking at my thread as trolling. thats just childish and silly. ALL... A L L potential buyers have questions ad concerns, especially when coming from another platform such as canon or nikon.

in the most basic sense here are two shots of "my style" of photography

[snip]
anyways guys i am off to work will be happy to converse more when i get there.
To a degree, your pics appear to be so sharp because of the extremely shallow DOF. While there are folks here who like a shallow DOF, not many take it as far as you seem to. That in itself could explain your dilemma. If there is basically no background/foreground in a pic then the eye naturally assumes that the in-focus subject is much sharper than it actually is.

My advice? Contact Camera Lens Rentals and rent a K5 body for a couple of days. Then you'll know what the camera can do, and if you can live with the results. Or, borrow a body if you know someone that has one. Either way you could "try before you buy" and not lose the full purchase price if you are unsatisfied with the camera.

Good luck with your quest.

12-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nick52 Quote
Any camera is capable of a bad photo, but it would only be by user error (or technical difficulty)
A good lens can produce a bad photo. When I am looking for a new lens, I usually look at flickr photos to see if I like it, and the photos for the Tamron 28-75 were SO BAD that I decided that it was the worst lens ever! I was wrong!

the 28-75 and 17-50 are a picky couple of lenses, both of which i have owned, both of which had to be sent in for recalibration.

sharp ? no, i have never owned a sharp copy of either,. acceptable given the f/2.8 and price point.. maybe. but they required heavy post processing.

have i seen images posted that show just brutally sharp copies, oh yes, yes indeed.

but i have given up on those as i dont need to buy more glass and have to send it in for calibration right out of the box.
plus the whiney gear driven sounding focusing motor is just annoying.

all that being said i am feeling quite foolish as i can not find the threads, here at work, that i was referring to when i wrote this (from home) but it was several of the weekly contest threads and i was floored by the lack of sharp images.

but looking through the threads now i am seeing plenty of good quality images.

so this thread for all intents and purposes can go away. and i will simply chaulk it up as user taste or error or just old glass.
it really did remind me of old or low quality glass; how they are just mooshy and not sharp.
12-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the 28-75 and 17-50 are a picky couple of lenses, both of which i have owned, both of which had to be sent in for recalibration.

sharp ? no, i have never owned a sharp copy of either,. acceptable given the f/2.8 and price point.. maybe. but they required heavy post processing.

have i seen images posted that show just brutally sharp copies, oh yes, yes indeed.

but i have given up on those as i dont need to buy more glass and have to send it in for calibration right out of the box.
plus the whiney gear driven sounding focusing motor is just annoying.

all that being said i am feeling quite foolish as i can not find the threads, here at work, that i was referring to when i wrote this (from home) but it was several of the weekly contest threads and i was floored by the lack of sharp images.

but looking through the threads now i am seeing plenty of good quality images.

so this thread for all intents and purposes can go away. and i will simply chaulk it up as user taste or error or just old glass.
it really did remind me of old or low quality glass; how they are just mooshy and not sharp.

Old and low quality are mutually exclusive. Plenty of good old glass, plenty of new mushy stuff

For example My copy of this is one of the early ones (mid 70s) not the sharpest lens on earth (hell I only paid under $15) but sufficiently sharp and contrasty with good colour rendition (

M28 f3.5 10 seconds 125 iso f8 k7

Last edited by eddie1960; 12-21-2011 at 09:59 AM.
12-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Old and low quality are mutually exclusive. Plenty of good old glass, plenty of new mushy stuff

For example My copy of this is one of the early ones (mid 70s) not the sharpest lens on earth (hell I only paid under $15) but sufficiently sharp and contrasty with good colour rendition (

M28 f3.5 10 seconds 125 iso f8 k7

i am more than aware of old glass being more than acceptable, you read more into it as happens far to often in forums.

i said old or low quality glass, and they do go hand in hand. but so does old and sharp.
i own my helios 44-2 f/2 along with some older stuff i have not touched in years.

anyways i am happy to continue conversing about quality glass and the K-5 but after sitting here looking (instead of working haha) i feel that what i was seeing was not indicitive of the true K-5 abilities.

now i jsut wish a local shop would carry one but thats like asking them to carry any decent hardware at all... pfpfpf - we cna get it for you but we dont stock it... yeah great,, thanks, i will buy it from amazon and have it here tomorrow with my amazon prime acount.

12-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

now i jsut wish a local shop would carry one but thats like asking them to carry any decent hardware at all... pfpfpf - we cna get it for you but we dont stock it... yeah great,, thanks, i will buy it from amazon and have it here tomorrow with my amazon prime acount.
That's a common lament from America. Mind you unless you are in a major center in canada your selection will be limited (but there will be B&M stores)
On my walk home I pass 5 camera stores that all carry Pentax (and Large format for that matter at 3 of them) so I am spoiled for choice. With the exception of rentals there is no Pentax rental in Canada, but i can rent Canikon, Hassy and Mamiya at 2 shops walking distance to my home (one also has some Leica).
12-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
To a degree, your pics appear to be so sharp because of the extremely shallow DOF. While there are folks here who like a shallow DOF, not many take it as far as you seem to. That in itself could explain your dilemma. If there is basically no background/foreground in a pic then the eye naturally assumes that the in-focus subject is much sharper than it actually is.

My advice? Contact Camera Lens Rentals and rent a K5 body for a couple of days. Then you'll know what the camera can do, and if you can live with the results. Or, borrow a body if you know someone that has one. Either way you could "try before you buy" and not lose the full purchase price if you are unsatisfied with the camera.

Good luck with your quest.

bimjo, DOF has nothing to do with what i am referring to, though too wide open or too stopped down will give overly soft images depending on the lens. but these were blatantly not focus or DOF related. just plain moosh. (some maybe heavily front focused, but the image did not show enough to determine that.

i am bummed i cant find those pictures now (there are so many weekly contest threads to sift through).

i am picky about my lenses though so i like my "sharp wide open" glass. but also am happy to stop down to get the results. or handle the image in photoshop to get what i desire.

but anyways guys a good discussion but i feel the error was mine in seeing what i did and feeling that those images MIGHT indicate what the camera was capable of.

looking more now i see how silly i was to assume such a thing.
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

bimjo, DOF has nothing to do with what i am referring to, though too wide open or too stopped down will give overly soft images depending on the lens. but these were blatantly not focus or DOF related. just plain moosh. (some maybe heavily front focused, but the image did not show enough to determine that.

i am bummed i cant find those pictures now (there are so many weekly contest threads to sift through).

i am picky about my lenses though so i like my "sharp wide open" glass. but also am happy to stop down to get the results. or handle the image in photoshop to get what i desire.

but anyways guys a good discussion but i feel the error was mine in seeing what i did and feeling that those images MIGHT indicate what the camera was capable of.

looking more now i see how silly i was to assume such a thing.
Silly? Not at all. Like any online forum there are pictures and then there are pictures. Believe it or not there are folks that would be amazed to learn that you need to sharpen a RAW file, so they don't do it. Or don't do it enough. On another forum the other day someone posted up pics that had a pronounced yellow/green cast. Very pronounced. She had no idea until somebody mentioned it and she looked at them on another monitor.

The Camera Lens Rental advice still holds. Get one and play and make up your own mind.
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

without examples there is no way we could say if it is the K-5 or anything else. As out of focus or soft photo's could be cause by many things. I have had myself that I have had very sharp photo's posted here. When I saw them, they were suddenly very soft. Looking again in photoshop or paintshop pro, they were sharp. Just something with the uploading went wrong, and they were suddenly soft.
Also if somebody does not resize the photo's right, they could appear soft. and many people do not have the right lens for the K-5 ( or any camera for that matter(a 18-250 how handy it may be, it won't be the sharpest lens there is))

12-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote

snip..

or any camera for that matter(a 18-250 how handy it may be, it won't be the sharpest lens there is))
Almost every Canikon users I ran into has (or wants to have) a "super-zoom" and doesn't think too much about image quality; I think they are more focus-accuracy/image-quality tolerant than us in this forum.
12-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The photo-intensive threads I spend the most time on are threads for the FA Limited lenses and the DA 15mm Ltd. lens - almost every photograph posted on those two threads is fantastic. I suppose there's a bit of self selection on those threads - those lenses are a bit pricey, they're primes, they attract serious photographers? I dunno. For sure, the DA and FA limited lenses are extraordinary and have something special to them - but no lens can make someone into a fabulous photographer

I'm posting these last-page-first cause a lot of the older images have expired - so it works best to work your way through backwards
FA Limited Club
DA15mm Controls my Mind / jsherman is a Camera Diety Club :D