Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I would go with 8gb (unless you're shooting video). Buy some double-sided CD-RWs or DVDs (should handle 4gb+ per side) and then you can trace your libary disk-to-disk.

12-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
I bought 3 class 10 sandisk extremes at 8 gb for the same reasons mentioned above. i've had no issues with them at all and highly recommend.
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Class 10 cards from a reputable brand (but class 10 is only a minimum spec so there is a lot of variability).

8gb cards unless you do video. Less to lose if a card fails, or you drop it off a bridge. Also, usually (but not always) 2 x 8gb is less money than 1 x 16gb.

Watch who you buy from as there have been many reports of counterfeit cards being sold.

SD cards have sort-of become the standard so I am not as opposed to buying better quality cards now, as opposed to a few years ago when it seemed every time I bought a new camera it came with a different type of card. I have standardized on SanDisk 8gb Extreme Pro cards. 45MB/s. This is over-kill for the K-5 but they read fast into the computer and have been very reliable.
12-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
....Watch who you buy from as there have been many reports of counterfeit cards being sold.
Amen to that. There are a bunch of online tutorials for what to look for but the bottom line is that its worth the extra 5% or so to buy from a legitimate seller like Adorama, B&H, or Amazon itself. One of the most common differences between real and counterfeit SD cards is that counterfeits nearly always skimp on storage space - you bought 8gb, its marked 8gb, but your computer tells you it has <2gb of space. The other way is to put a Class 2 chip inside and mark it Class 10 (big difference in performance - like between actually working in a modern dSLR and not at all and in price).

12-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Some class 6 cards are faster then some Class 10 cards.
Sandisk is the one doing that with some of their cards, don't know why...

Any way anything from class 6 and up should be perfect for photo and video.

Normally 8GB should be enough but if you shoot in RAW with the K5 then 16GB is better.
I"m now using 2 16GB cards with my K5 and that's just enough.
I have a Sandisk Class 6 card that writes fast enough for me (30 MB /second). And for less money. I think it's a marketing move by Sandisk.
12-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I myself ignore what class a card is. I have around 30 cards from different brands. Kodak, san disk, kingston, pny, patriot, lexar, dane electric. Have never had a problem with any of my cards.

My cards range in size from 512mb to 8 gig. Righr now I seem to lean to the 4 gig card when I am out taking pictures.
12-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It's not just marketing, consumer electronics become more demanding every year. Anyone remember Sony 3.5in disk based Mavica cameras only 0.3mb per picture? That was 2001. They only needed 1.4mb of memory per card. If you try to do larger bursts, video, or anything that maxes out the K5's write capacity you will quickly see slower cards choke. It's not just my opinion there are loads of analyses and reviews online too as well as posts here on the forums about it.

12-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Anyone remember Sony 3.5in disk based Mavica cameras
Oh man I loved that camera! It was just so darn cool! I must have had 300 floppies of photos at one point.

I think the really fast SD cards such as the Extreme Pro (45 MB/s) are complete overkill for the K-5. I have bought them to future proof myself (waiting for the 36MP, 20 frame/ second Pentax Full Frame) and because I assume they are higher quality than the slower cards. Maybe it is just marketing but I have had cheap cards fail in the past and I never want to experience that again. So I buy the best, and make sure to only insert the card with the SD slot aligned precisely with magnetic north.
12-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Oh man I loved that camera! It was just so darn cool! I must have had 300 floppies of photos at one point.

I think the really fast SD cards such as the Extreme Pro (45 MB/s) are complete overkill for the K-5. I have bought them to future proof myself (waiting for the 36MP, 20 frame/ second Pentax Full Frame) and because I assume they are higher quality than the slower cards. Maybe it is just marketing but I have had cheap cards fail in the past and I never want to experience that again. So I buy the best, and make sure to only insert the card with the SD slot aligned precisely with magnetic north.
And don't forget to put a funny look on your face while putting the card in.
12-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

8gb cards unless you do video. Less to lose if a card fails, or you drop it off a bridge. Also, usually (but not always) 2 x 8gb is less money than 1 x 16gb.
Many say that but i hold a different philosophy though.

I get a card that get me through certainly one day of shooting so that i don't have to switch card during the shoot/day.
You have less change you lose a card that way because you're too hasty or miss a shot because the card is full and you're switching it.

Another reason is that switching card will wear the SD holder in the camera out.

Also if you've more cards the changes of losing one will increase and the change that one gets damage.