Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Memory card for the K-5

Hi, I need some help...

This is probably an over asked question , The K-5 is my first digital SLR and I am new to digital...trying to get a fix on what card to get for my K-5.

What is your favorite memory card to use in the K-5?

Any Recommendations?

Thanks!

12-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Buy a class 10 SDHC card . I am Transcend for few years and never have a problem.
12-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 Card. Best ratings for write speed among those the K5 can use and consistently best reliability among SD cards. You pay more, but I think its worth it.
12-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have several Transcend cards from 18 months ago and they're fine. I've seen some reviews lately that indicate that later batches may be less reliable. I'n using SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 Cards now. Best ratings for write speed among those the K5 can use and consistently best reliability among SD cards. You pay more, but I think its worth it.

12-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

THis is duplicate of the same question you ask in another thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/169178-me...ml#post1751913
12-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry

Last edited by Ziggy; 12-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.
12-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think most of the major brands should be good. I am using Panasonic and Lexar class-10 16 and 32GB cards. Not all class 10 cards are equal, some may have high read/write speed than others since the standard only states the minimum speeds. The important point is to ensure that you buy these cards from the reputable stores to ensure that they are genuine cards (usually there are imprints on the card where it is made if you look closely). I usually buy them when they are on-sale as the price difference could be substantial when they are not.
12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ziggy Quote
Thanks!

Adorama has 2 16gb cards for $39 right now which is about $10 less for 2 than anyone else that is a known seller.
2XSDSDRH016GA11 SanDisk 16GB Ultra Secure Digital High Capacity, SDHC, Memory Card, 15MB/Sec Read/Write Speed - Pack of 2
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 Card. Best ratings for write speed among those the K5 can use and consistently best reliability among SD cards. You pay more, but I think its worth it.
I'm also using this SanDisk Class 10..................I've started buying the Class 10 to replace my old Class 6's..................I shoot RAW and many times 5 image bracked sets for HDR, so the K5 is writing A LOT of data each time.............
12-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I looked at some of the San Disk Extreme III class 10 on Amazon and the Transcend. Its a bit strange cause the pictures say one thing when then scripts say another.If it says class 3 in the item picture ,it changes to the regular card and then sometimes the speeds are different. Guess you can't go by the pics cause they sometimes change once clicking. Odd. The transcend were more accurate on Amazon. Also went to B and H photo. Will check Adorama and Calumet. And my local photo store(When I checked there for cameras they did not sell Pentax DSLR).

What are you guys comfortable with as far as gigs? Would you do a minimum of 16GB on a card or 8? I am thinking that if I want to shoot raw and maybe video (not at the same time) I should go with 16GB or higher. Just don't want to invest too much into one card in case it goes bad or gets injured.
12-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

SanDisk Extreme III class 6 works good enough for me

NEw to this site and was hoping I'd lessing the odds of getting a fast answer,hope it was not bad thing to do!
On most forums (if not all) double posting (also cross posting) is not appreciated. One of the reasons is that it makes it difficult for people that have replied as they expect to see their reply when they stumble upon the thread again and can't find it.
12-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks, I looked at some of the San Disk Extreme III class 10 on Amazon and the Transcend. Its a bit strange cause the pictures say one thing when then scripts say another.If it says class 3 in the item picture ,it changes to the regular card and then sometimes the speeds are different. Guess you can't go by the pics cause they sometimes change once clicking. Odd. The transcend were more accurate on Amazon. Also went to B and H photo. Will check Adorama and Calumet. And my local photo store(When I checked there for cameras they did not sell Pentax DSLR).

What are you guys comfortable with as far as gigs? Would you do a minimum of 16GB on a card or 8? I am thinking that if I want to shoot raw and maybe video (not at the same time) I should go with 16GB or higher. Just don't want to invest too much into one card in case it goes bad or gets injured.
I haven't seen the SanDisk Extreme 16gb Class 10s for less than Adorama has them right now. 16gb is my upper limit - if you're gonna have a problem better to keep it on a smaller card. I have many 8gb cards and now have 3 16gb cards.
12-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

8gb should be fine, even for RAW shooting................you don't want to overfill the card in case a problem does occur.....

BUT, if you plan to shoot video you should probably go to at least 16gb...
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Not all class 10 cards are equal, some may have high read/write speed than others since the standard only states the minimum speeds.
Some class 6 cards are faster then some Class 10 cards.
Sandisk is the one doing that with some of their cards, don't know why...

Any way anything from class 6 and up should be perfect for photo and video.

Normally 8GB should be enough but if you shoot in RAW with the K5 then 16GB is better.
I"m now using 2 16GB cards with my K5 and that's just enough.