Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Rode Videomic Pro - Right Channel only

Hi All,

I believe my camera (K7) has developed a fault but need my camera for some work in early January.... So no time to send for a repair! But before I do I'll provide a breakdown of the problem:

I have just bought the new Rode Videomic Pro which is a Mono Mic that has a stereo output. It records to the right channel fine, but not the left. Has anyone else experienced a problem such as this? I have tested the mic and both channels appear to be working.

I can (frustratingly) work with this for the next job I have but believe this to be a hardware fault with the unit - anyone else have a differing opinion?

Thanks for the help guys!

12-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like the stereo ext. mic input socket in the K-7 has developed a fault. Is is worth getting it fixed? It will mildly interfere with watching through a TV/stereo (cheapest option would be a mono to stereo cable adapter) or you may have a TV when you can select which audio channel to use.

In PP in Sony Vegas Pro you can tell it which audio channel to use for the soundtrack and I presume you can do that in other video editing programs.

I've got a RØDEVM (first version without the sensitivity switch inside the battery case so it's too sensitive for loud situations) and a SVM. I've not used them on the K-5 yet (I use them on 3 miniDV cams). With the K-5, if the video was important, I'd probably do a separate soundtrack with a Zoom H4 SD card audio recorder (no camera noise) and visually/aurally sync it in PP afterwards.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 12-22-2011 at 12:51 PM.
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey Dosdan,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I know, I know.... It's the left channel I meant to say not the right on closer inspection. Clear as a bell through the right channel mind you. It means removing the left channel in post which I can live with for one project :-( What id does mean though is that playback through say VLC or WMP has no audio because of the damaged left track.

Looks like a repair which is what I suspected and whilst it is under warranty it would be worth doing once the event is over. Thanks again!