Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Kx Pictures # not proportinate to shutter count

Hi

I have used my KX for about one year now and what I am seeing is a large difference as to the
number pf pics taken via the file number and the Shutter count.
When I bought the camera I verified the shutter count using PictureMe to see if it was really new, the
count was under 100.
Now it is off by thousands !
Could it be something to do with the firmware update ?
My total picture count from all of my digital cameras since 2002 is 22,000, the exif on my KX is showing 12,000 and going
by the pic file # is under 4,000 which seems right as I use 2 other cams as well.
Anyone else see anything like this, or should I stay up late and see if the Camera Fairy is using my Gear !

Thanks

12-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm guessing the image count was affected by a previous file number on the card and a setting on the camera.
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your file number will not match your shutter count and your shutter count is not the same as the actual picture count:

LV on/off increments the shutter count
Green button metering increments the shutter count
MirrorUp (sensor cleaning) increments shutter count
HDR increments shutter count +3 for one pic
Multi-Exposure can increment up to +9 for one pic
Etc Etc Etc

12-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If your shutter count is HIGHER than you expected by looking at picture counts and such, that's not completely unusual - taking pictures and deleting them in camera, using the green button to set your shutter speed while in manual uses the shutter, and I think a few other things as well.

If your shutter count is lower than you expected, then something is weird!

12-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If your shutter count is HIGHER than you expected by looking at picture counts and such, that's not completely unusual - taking pictures and deleting them in camera, using the green button to set your shutter speed while in manual uses the shutter, and I think a few other things as well.

If your shutter count is lower than you expected, then something is weird!
Both are possible...

-when you trip the shutter without the SD card... it adds one in the shutter count (internal EXIF); there are other situations as well (multiple exposure... etc.)
-when you switch to another SD card with the "same day" folder, the file number will change according to the last one you inserted into the camera. For example, if you have SD card with day-folder 109-1222 (and the last file is IMGP0100). You switch to another card with the day-folder 121-1222 (last file is IMGP2100), then the camera will continue with 2101, 2102 and so on... so now, the shutter count (101, 102 etc.) is lower than the filename count.
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Green button metering increments the shutter count
Green button just stops the lens down, doesn't it? How is shutter involved?
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, your right, it should just stop down, shutter is not involved in that operation...

12-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

On the K-x spcifically, green utton metering also does a mirror flip. Not the same as shutter, of course, but that could be a reason to increment that count.
12-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm guessing the image count was affected by a previous file number on the card and a setting on the camera.
This will happen. My first shots on my K5 were taken on a card I had been using on my K10D and it seemed to follow the file numbers, so my brand new K5 started out with file numbers of over 9000. Actual shutter count is in the EXIF and can be checked with PhotoME or other programs.
12-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

also, I have noticed that when the shutter opens and closes for live view, and video mode, it does not increase the shutter count.
12-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
This will happen. My first shots on my K5 were taken on a card I had been using on my K10D and it seemed to follow the file numbers, so my brand new K5 started out with file numbers of over 9000. Actual shutter count is in the EXIF and can be checked with PhotoME or other programs.
Yes, file# has nothing to do with shutter count and can be altered/reset a number of ways.
12-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #12

there is a way to make the file number follow the shutter count. Here is what I did

Take a picture and find out the shutter count for the camera from it (Check shutter count online - My Shutter Count.com)
In the camera, go to "menu" > "4" > "memory" > "2" > then uncheck "file no." at the bottom.
Rename the last 4 numbers of the image you uploaded and got the shutter count from, to the shutter count of the camera.
Put the Memory card back in and take a photo. The next photo's # should be one higher and should now go along with the shutter count.
Go back into the memory menu and check the "File No." box.

But if you delete photos during preview after taking a shot before it is saved, the file number wont increase, but the shutter count does, so this causes it go out of alignment again.

Last edited by mpmetro; 12-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.
12-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've noticed that the file number is going up to when I develop RAW photo's in camera. But I don't really see this as a problem. As you know there are possibilities, even on this forum, to find out what the real shutter count is... Just keep on shooting en disregard those file numbers. Happy shooting!