Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k10d AF broken

I purchased a used K10D awhile back with broken AF and planned to use it with my manual lenses. However, I have discovered the AF still has some functionality-- if I focus the lens to infinity and momentarily press (ie not holding down or just tapping) the dedicated AF button, the camera will focus. However, a second press of the dedicated AF button causes the lens to creep ever so slightly toward macro... another press yields the same result until the lens reaches its macro limit. So the lens will adjust focus in one direction (starting at infinity and moving toward macro) but will make no adjustments in the opposite direction (macro -> infinity). Was hoping someone might have some idea how the AF could function in only one direction.

Cheers,
Peter

12-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like it might be the motor and not the AF system itself- is focus confirmation working for you? How about SDM lenses?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. Yeah, focus confirmation is working. I assumed it was the motor but then again could not understand how the motor could drive the lens to macro but not be able to drive back to infinity. This behavior suggested that it might be an electrical problem or "software" problem... as if mechanically it is capable of focusing both to macro and to infinity but the instructions aren't there?
12-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How many lenses you have tried? Sounds like the teeth inside the lens were stripped near macro. If that's not the case, the plastic gear(s) inside the body AF motor assembly must be cracked in a way that it can only drive in one direction. I doubt that's sw issue.