Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #1

Lens compatibility confirmation: Will my MZ-30 lenses work on K-x or K-r?

Hi all,

I am a new member here and this is my very first post.

I would like to know if my old MZ-30 lenses would fit on K-x or K-r which I'm planning to purchase. I have read The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart and Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series but am still a bit confused. I'm not sure if I've interpreted the tables correctly.

Based on the above documentations, MZ-30 has Crippled KAF mount and uses F series lens. Both k-x and k-r use Crippled KAF2 mount and fully supports the F series lens used on MZ-30. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The 2 lenses for my MZ-30 are:
  1. Sigma Aspherical 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6, macro at 80mm (It has an aperture dial)
  2. Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, macro between 200-300mm (It has an aperture dial)
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all!

12-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it works on your MZ-30, it'll work on your K-r. That's how it is will all Pentax lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it works on your MZ-30, it'll work on your K-r. That's how it is will all Pentax lenses
Thanks Adam. Are the lenses going to be 100% compatible or are there any features that k-x or k-r body does not support?
12-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All lenses made by Pentax and for Pentax will fit a K-x and K-r or any Pentax DSLR.

12-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the lens has AF, the camera will support AF with it. If the lens has auto aperture, the camera will support auto aperture with it. But the camera won't magically do AF or auto aperture with a lens that doesn't support it. Also, for those few lenses that support power zoom, many modern cameras don't support that.

Completely ,amual lenses - ones that don't support AF or auto aperture - can be used in Av mode on bodies with a non-crippled mount that support Av mode, but not any of on your cameras, since they have the crippled mount.
12-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Assuming your lenses have an 'A' or 'A(P)' position on their aperture rings, just set the aperture to that position, and you can control aperture automatically or manually from the camera; you can also use matrix metering and pTTL flash with your new dSLR. If they have an 'A(P)' position they may also have the bothersome Ricoh Pin, which is easily dealt with. If they are AF lenses, the Ricoh-pin bug doesn't exist. Do they autofocus on your MZ-30? If so, no problem!
12-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Assuming your lenses have an 'A' or 'A(P)' position on their aperture rings, just set the aperture to that position, and you can control aperture automatically or manually from the camera; you can also use matrix metering and pTTL flash with your new dSLR. If they have an 'A(P)' position they may also have the bothersome Ricoh Pin, which is easily dealt with. If they are AF lenses, the Ricoh-pin bug doesn't exist. Do they autofocus on your MZ-30? If so, no problem!
Yes they autofocus on MZ-30.

Thanks for all replies. I bought a K-x body. My both lenses seem to work fine!