Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

And no LCD screen on the back.

I think it will be a hit! XD

12-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, I didn't think of that! Ditch the LCD on the back! Now I really like that idea as it is an expensive part of the package. Obviously a screen of some type would be needed to handle the task (or would it?) of working with the electronic functioning of the camera, but all one really needs is a viewfinder. As for a K1000D, it would seem to me that should have been made long ago as the first step into digital, and likely was used as a prototype test mule at some point in the development of dslr.

My guess is the ability to charge more for "bells and whistles" is what motivates the production of increasingly complex devices, even if the complexity is in the low cost program chips and directive code within them (you can see I have been talking to my son who is a programmer).

Suffice it to say, I am dreaming...
12-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'll chime in just to keep the OP from feeling like the Lone Ranger. I also would prefer a vastly "de-featured" DSLR. I'm not silly enough to think we'll ever actually get one....but I would prefer one.

Keep your damned front and rear dials. Keep your damned video recording. Keep your damned multiple modes I never use. Keep your damned autofocus. Keep your damned high fps.

Give me a shutter speed dial. Put aperture rings on my lenses. Give me a nice big bright optical viewfinder with a center-weighted meter and a simple needle and scale. And do it in M42, please.
How did I know the last line would be here, HA HA.....

Seriously though it is not a bad sentiment, and in looking at the needs of an M42 camera, I think it could all be achieved with a replacement mount and allow auto aperture, but the aperture coupling for the open aperture metering would be a little different. Would be nice though. K5 sensor, big split image penta prism finder, and just about nothing else
12-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

Or just go back to the postage stamp from the *istD

12-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Also when you look at the features most of them are about how the camera behave, if you don't want to fiddle with them then leave them alone, it's as simple as that.
Quite right. The camera can be as simple or complex as desired. It's easy-peasy if one avoids the Menu button.

Not a chance. The main advantages of digital over film are 1) free shooting and 2) instant review, including being able to show-off recent shots. Pull the screen and sales will be in the dozens, maybe.
12-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wonder what would happen if Pentax made a K1000D- basically a K1000 but with a digital sensor
How long did the 1000 sell? Isn't it the most sold SLR in history? Brilliant idea, and make it M42 to take advantage of all that lovely glass.
12-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think people have been indulging in a little too much Xmas spirit(s)! I love the idea of a digital mx (with FF sensor of course, if you're even contemplating putting an apsc sensor in it you really are tripping). But such a camera will probably only appeal to a niche of enthusiasts, and will therefore end up MORE expensive, not less! The only hope is if a third party comes up with a sensor kit for adapting existing film bodies IMHO.

12-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'll chime in just to keep the OP from feeling like the Lone Ranger. I also would prefer a vastly "de-featured" DSLR. I'm not silly enough to think we'll ever actually get one....but I would prefer one.

Keep your damned front and rear dials. Keep your damned video recording. Keep your damned multiple modes I never use. Keep your damned autofocus. Keep your damned high fps.

Give me a shutter speed dial. Put aperture rings on my lenses. Give me a nice big bright optical viewfinder with a center-weighted meter and a simple needle and scale. And do it in M42, please.
Well, you had me up until the last sentence. I'd like it in K-mount, please. Otherwise...yeah, I could chunk 95% of the stuff on my camera's menu and be perfectly happy. I think there's definitely a market for such a camera...and I suspect it's much larger than folks assume. It would all depend upon price, IMHO.
12-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been wishing for a "digital MX" for a long time, but agree that the mass market wants all the gadgets. Leica did show there is a market for a retro-digital, but the size is limited. I'd pay MORE for a digital MX myself.
12-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

There's a very enthusiastic thread going right now in support of the Fuji X10 and X100. So there's very definitely a market for a retro digital.
12-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on the Fuji x100. That is nearly the exact thing I am thinking about. The only thing missing is the ability to use my K mount lenses. The LCD on the back need not be there either. I will check this camera out in the near future if the new model releases from Pentax don't suit my desires.
12-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Add me to the choir of voices calling for a modern day K1000. Stripped down. Cheap. Fully manual. No rear LCD. Sturdy. It will be a niche product for sure, but it may also appeal to schools with digital photography courses. Literally a modern day K1000.

The "no rear LCD" would be controversial for sure, but it might encourage the young photography student to:

a) spend as much time immersing themselves in a scene instead of constantly staring at the back of the camera
b) appreciate the importance of getting the settings in the camera right.

Removing the rear LCD will also dramatically reduce the size of the camera. And improve battery life and/or reduce the size of the battery. If the K-x/K-r requires 4 AAs, a camera like this could probably take hundreds of shots on 2 AAs.

If Pentax can make a sturdy stripped down camera like this and sell it for $300, I'd pick one up just for the hell of it and use it from time to time just for a different photographic experience and to keep my M skills sharp.
12-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Someone needs to invent a portable digital sensor that can actually fit in an film SLR as a replacement for actual film -- put the electronics in a film canister shape with the sensor sticking out flat like a strip of film. Card (maybe a micro) can go on the right next to the uptake spool.

Probably impossible, but making a whole new digital back for some SLR models would probably be possible. Or create a new combo body with interchangable backs that could shoot film OR digital. (Or make a medium format digital back to go on existing models that already have interchangable backs.)
12-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Someone needs to invent a portable digital sensor that can actually fit in an film SLR as a replacement for actual film -- put the electronics in a film canister shape with the sensor sticking out flat like a strip of film. Card (maybe a micro) can go on the right next to the uptake spool.

Probably impossible, but making a whole new digital back for some SLR models would probably be possible. Or create a new combo body with interchangable backs that could shoot film OR digital. (Or make a medium format digital back to go on existing models that already have interchangable backs.)
Silicon Film tried it in the late '90s. Every six months or so they would issue a press release saying real soon now. No one ever saw a working prototype. The original model would have had a 5x crop factor and was limited to the Nikon F3. It had a number of other limitations as well, most of which would likely never have been overcome.

This year there was an April Fools jokes based on the same idea.

RE-35 Turns Your Film Camera Into a Digital Camera at The Phoblographer

RE-35 | Digital cartridges for analog 35-mm cameras
12-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The thought of a retro DLSR is appealing, getting rid of the LCD, albeit not too practical would make it rather retro and would also help to keep cost, size & battery consumption down. Also, the point of this being an ideal 'student camera' sounds convincing. I suppose this could be a RAW + MF only job as well. The latter would make the viewfinder brighter as no light would need to be diverted to the AF sensor (=eliminated, as would be the body AF motor). This should be K-mount with aperture set on the ring for maximal 'retro' . I suppose it would be possible to make an M42 adapter which would depress the auto-pin for exposure, especially assuming that the body does not control aperture (the CWA meter could be stop down / activated with a button press ). [edit: This concept would allow drastically simplfied electronics with a low power processor with minimal memory which would allow extended battery life / small (discardable = no charger) battery = cheap, BOM-wise . ]

Last edited by jolepp; 12-26-2011 at 01:57 PM.