Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
I had no clue the extra menu items did not add cost, but without them it would. Just figured less features lower price.
Most things in the menus aren't "features" but are simply "settings". And the existing image processing algorithms all are written to use those settings. Rewriting the menu to remove those settings, and rewriting the algorithm to not allow you to make those settings, is extra work that isn't needed if you simply reuse the existing menu structure and algorithms from a previous camera, which is exactly what is normally done (with tweaks, of course).

QuoteQuote:
Obviously, as was posted, the features become a selling point somewhere along the line.
Precisely, which is another reason that stripping out features that the vast majority of users consider necessary would drive the cost up. A camera without those features would sell in only miniscule quantities, and hence would be less likely to ever recoup its design and upfront manufacturing costs.

QuoteQuote:
I do not understand programming or electronic hardware, but do understand that one less bolt or screw means a penny less in the price.
Not necessarily, but indeed, for extra add on features that most can do without, that becomes true for cameras as well. This is one reason the K-5 costs more than the K-r. But consider, what if you wanted to buy a one inch 10-23 screw instead of a 10-24? That's one less thread - should be cheaper, right? No. It's a non-standard size, and would be much *more* expensive as manufacturers would be less likely to ever sell these in enough quantity to recover the cost of retooling their production lines. These types of factors are often far more important than the the cost of the features or threads themselves.

12-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Its already been shown that a dslr without SR is a non-starter.
LOL You might want to call Canon and Nikon and let them know. They think they're selling quite a few DSLRs without SR built in.
12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
LOL You might want to call Canon and Nikon and let them know. They think they're selling quite a few DSLRs without SR built in.
They sell them with VR lenses. If Pentax were to eliminate SR they would have to release a new set of IS lenses.
12-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They sell them with VR lenses. If Pentax were to eliminate SR they would have to release a new set of IS lenses.
Please no! One of the reasons I bought into Pentax is not having to buy unnecessary technology (and unnecessary failure points) over and over again. Canikon have a hellova scam going with that.

12-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With all this talk about "must have" features, consider the Leica M9. Full-frame (24x36), no SR, no autofocus, all manual lenses with aperture rings, simple center-weighted metering system, 60 yr-old optical viewfinder/rangefinder for focusing, old fashioned shutter speed dial (with a single A setting as well). At $7K for the body they are selling all they can make. Also selling all the lenses they can make (1-yr backlog, so they are doubling production capacity).
Why does a dSLR have to be more complex?
12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
With all this talk about "must have" features, consider the Leica M9. Full-frame (24x36), no SR, no autofocus, all manual lenses with aperture rings, simple center-weighted metering system, 60 yr-old optical viewfinder/rangefinder for focusing, old fashioned shutter speed dial (with a single A setting as well). At $7K for the body they are selling all they can make. Also selling all the lenses they can make (1-yr backlog, so they are doubling production capacity).
Why does a dSLR have to be more complex?
Leica can sell them because it says Leica on the front of the camera.
12-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
After talking with many younger folks at work, they agree a simple dslr would not go well in the market since the slr format is for more serious photographers, and the serious picture taker desires to have the capability to create photos in the camera as well as on the computer. They all agreed the menu driven format on all the cameras are a pain in the *ss. Most of them admitted to not using them, even on their point and shoots! I guess it is a matter of selling bells and whistles to people who want them, but don't use them.

None the less, I want things to be simple. Give me manual controls with AE I can use without taking an eye off the viewfinder and can easily locate and operate by touch. Ditch the lcd screen(s) and make it k mount compatible. So when does the Kr replacement come due?

Too bad the Leica is priced into the stratosphere, cause I would likely own one.

12-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pichur Quote
Too bad the Leica is priced into the stratosphere, cause I would likely own one.
Yeah, I totally blew my retirement bonus on one, because it was the ONLY digital camera made that operates just like my film cameras do. I still shoot film alot, so keeping controls the same makes that simple.
I would have bought it if it said Voigtlander and was made in Japan, but they only make film bodies that use the Leica mount.
But all the new lenses I've bought are Japanese made (Voigtlander & Zeiss) that fit the Leica body.
I agree a lot of image-snobs buy Leica to show off, but a number of pros tired of lugging FF dSLRs bought the M9 also.
I've used a mix of SLR and Rangefinder for 40 years, depending on the situation, but the M9 is the first digital to meet my wishes.
12-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Not all cameras (and not all photographers by extension) want feature upon feature upon feature. There are those who crave simplicity and "purity". Some just want something different, something that changes the way they interact with and view the world.

There's no reason that a stripped-down dSLR, properly priced and properly marketed, can't tap into this vein of interest and visual exploration.
12-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's no reason that a stripped-down dSLR, properly priced and properly marketed, can't tap into this vein of interest and visual exploration.
I suspect dSLR makers have conducted market research and reached a different conclusion.

I'm sorry -- I put this desire for a simple dSLR in the same category as water-witching, cold fusion, and steam-powered motorcycles. If these were commercially viable, some greedy capitalist pigs insightful entrepreneurs would be busy exploiting them.

I can think of a cheaper and easier camera design: an ILC P&S. The gimmick: a C- or CS- or D-mount, to use existing small-format lenses. The P&S chassis could be bare-bones. The firmware could support just basic functions. An existing low-end fixed-lens design (like my old Sakar / Digital Concepts) would be easily tweaked.

Why doesn't such exist? Because bean-counters probably figure there's no market. Oh bother.
12-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree - market research aims for either the greatest market segment, or a niche that fits a smaller maker's strengths. Leica is now tiny, and catered to us older photographers who still prefer film, and direct control of aperture, speed, and focus. The have announced plans for significant growth, and that likely will be by applying the Leica brand to more gadgety and popular forms.
I'm not sure what market sgment Ricoh will push Pentax towards, but not likely to be a retro pro SLR that us old folks would like. Yet... Ricoh already has a Leica M-mount body solution to attract users of manual Leica lenses, and the major criticism (other then not FF) has been lack of an eye-level finder. Perhaps a GXR eye-level body could add a K-mount with manual aperture linkage... (Dream on)
12-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I don't find the thought of a K1000D appealing at all. Give me a Spotmatic ESIID instead: open aperture metering and shooting. I'd settle for a plain old Spotmatic with stop-down metering and open aperture shooting.

For that matter, just give an aperture pin actuator adapter to drop in the K-5. Setting up a mode for it is a firmware tweak and the thing could be powered and triggered from the SDM contacts that I otherwise have no use for.
12-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #58
Veteran Member

On my KX the only main settings used are auto pict,tv,av and m.Only use center focus and metering.Most of the menu items are left to default but find some quite useful.If all the settings that I don't use were left out the 180 or so page manual could probably be cut down to 30-40.If a camera with a sensor the quality of the KX were offered with no automatic functions but with a usable viewfinder it would suit me fine but don't think many cameras would be sold.
Jake
12-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every so often the concept of a drop-in Digital Film cartridge shows up. (I apologize if someone already mentioned this)
Digital Film Concept Could Resurrect Dead Film Cameras | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Feasibility? Maybe. Usefulness? Fair. Demand? Low (I suspect).
12-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Feasibility? Maybe. Usefulness? Fair. Demand? Low (I suspect).
More like: Demand? Pretty high. Usefulness? Pretty high. Feasibility? Zilch. (Else it would have been produced in at least small quantities.)

Interface is the problem. Interfacing a drop-in digifilm cart for ONE line of camera bodies would be do-able. For multiple body types, no. How is the cart to know when to power-up and activate? How is it to draw power? How are its settings to be controlled? The innards of 135/FF cameras are too varied for any consistent interfacing.

And a 135/FF model wouldn't work in 135/HF, 135/SQ, and 135/WA bodies. What, I can't digitize my Pen-FT, my Dial35, my Robot? I can't drop it into a 120 cam for sprocket-hole panos? Feh.

Interface might be more possible with APS film bodies. But with that failed format, demand WOULD be zilch. To meet demand, it's 135/FF or nothing -- and 135/FF isn't do-able. Oh bother.