Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

K200D No Card in Camera Problem

I've had my K200D for quite a while, and I love it. However a few weeks ago I I went to put an SD card in the slot and it was really hard to put in. I took it out and put it in a few times and tried different cards. Since I had a shoot that evening, I just shoved it in and went to the shoot. Everything was fine and I was able to complete my shoot with no problems. A few days ago I decided to find out why it was so difficult. I looked in there with a flash light a small chunk of one of my SD cards had broken off and was laying down in the bottom of the slot. I was able to fish it out with a pocket knife (no batteries in the camera). Now cards insert easily....BUT it doesn't recognize that there is a card in the camera. I've tried multiple cards that work in other devices, but the camera doesn't recognize any of them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

12-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Forum Member

Are you sure it was a piece of one of the SD cards? Perhaps it's a piece from inside the camera. Also, there are spring loaded contacts in the slot for reading the SD card when inserted, it's possible that one of those contacts got damaged or moved. You might look with a magnifying glass and flashlight to see. Not sure how to fix it if that's the issue though.
12-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks...I'll check the contacts. I'm positive it is a piece of one of my cards. Both cards are blue, the chunk was blue, and I can see where the chunk is missing from my card.
12-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Well, that's fairly conclusive I would say. Still, I'd be interested to hear if you can see any damaged contacts.

04-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry to resurrect a super old thread, but the nice weather has me thinking about my camera equipment again. I've looked in the slot and can't see any bent pins. My camera is obviously beyond warranty, so I'm considering repair or replacement. I found a place (PENTAX K200D repair | United Camera) that will repair my camera for $138 (I'm assuming I'll have to pay shipping as well). Does anyone have any experience with this company? Are they reliable?