Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
With Pentax being sold recently, is it a company I can count on to stand behind its products? I think it was sold before this sale not too long ago (could be wrong). If a company changes hands a lot, it makes me wonder about its commitment to consumers and to quality.

I am thinking of buying a K-x, but if it's discontinued, I may wait to see what Pentax releases next.
Pentaxas a company hasgone through 2 sales now. And ricoh has already said it would not be getting rid of the camera business its intent was to develop with it unlike hoya which was to obtain the medical side of things so the camera division was bound to be sold off eventually. As for the kx being discontinued it was annoucned more then 1 year ago that it was discontinued and the kr was replacing it. Pentax has only two model always had they just usually have some overlap between outgoing and incoming models. This year has been a little bit different but i would guess this has to do with the Q release and ricohs takeover and restructuring. I wouldnt be worried about the company they have been getting high praises for the k5 ever since the release. Nothing but good press for them.

12-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
Wanting return business is as close to commitment as you'll get. Not sure I agree with the avoid pentax for everything but limited lenses, but the business part is dead on.
They make lenses other than the Limited lenses
12-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #18

I have the K-x and love it! I got it on a special offer this time last year as it was discontinued and shops were selling off stock before the K-r release. Maybe you could do that with the K-r and the new release (or pay more for the new release).
12-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If Pentax' quality has slipped, then other brands have slipped farther. Read most any review of Pentax products and you'll notice that good build quality is usually mentioned. For comparison pick up the comparable Canon Rebel xt2. Now that's cheaply built.

12-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Built quality & reliability are 2 different things.
12-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With Pentax being sold recently, is it a company I can count on to stand behind its products? I think it was sold before this sale not too long ago (could be wrong). If a company changes hands a lot, it makes me wonder about its commitment to consumers and to quality.

I am thinking of buying a K-x, but if it's discontinued, I may wait to see what Pentax releases next.
How much standing behind their products do you need/expect?
By that I mean how heavily invested or going to invest are you going to be into the system.
If it does not go beyond the kit lens and body, then you'd be able to jump system at any time as you please.
If you already have K mount lenses, then perhaps a Pentax DSLR would make more sense to be able to use them.
Then again, if you only have manual lenses or intend to only use manual lenses, you could just get a Pentax body and change to a mirrorless one in the future if Pentax folds up. (again minimal to no impact).

As others have said, Ricoh bought Pentax for the camera division. That is certainly better off than under Hoya which only wanted the medical division. (and they did produce great cameras like Kx, K5 and Kr even under an uninterested Hoya flag)
12-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Built quality & reliability are 2 different things.
No. They generally are intertwined.
12-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #23
Pentaxian

A relevant question I haven't seen addressed is what is Ricoh's reputation for quality, reliability, and support for their own branded products?

12-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
A relevant question I haven't seen addressed is what is Ricoh's reputation for quality, reliability, and support
I cannot speak to any Ricoh camera product, but we have had two Ricoh copiers in the office. They handle anything we throw at them, rarely have any issues, definitely the best I have ever used as far as paper handling and jamming (they don't). And service when we needed it, either repair or preventative, has been top notch and timely. Service is through Ikon, but I thought I read somewhere that Ricoh had just purchased Ikon. I have had to use other copier brands at previous jobs and we were constantly broke down or jammed or waiting on parts.
12-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
The current crop of Pentax DSLR's are excellent, both of 'em.

Regards
Don't you mean "all three of them"?

And let us not forget, everyone, that "Ricoh" is just an abbreviated and more modern/kewl-sounding version of the company's original name: Riken Kougaku.....and that kougaku (光学) means "optical".

Last edited by Mike Cash; 12-28-2011 at 12:26 AM.
12-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
No. They generally are intertwined.
For example, the K-5 has better built quality than the K-r but no more reliable. Many euro vehicles are better built but less reliable than Japanese cars.
12-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Good points, all. Maybe I will wait to see what kind of camera replaces the K-r. I hope Pentax announces it pretty soon. Has anyone heard anything in this regard?

One reason I want to buy a Pentax is that we have an old Spotmatic from my wife's father, and it has the 50 mm f1.4 lens. It would be great to be able to use it.
You have a valid point being concerned that there has been no product roadmap announced, so you really have no idea if Pentax will go in a direction you'd be interested in taking any lens investments you might make. It's probably more likely that there would be a radical change in product direction in Pentax than in Canon/Nikon, for example. Change might please you, or not.

I think the 50/1.4 is a non-issue in evaluating Pentax vs. the competition, considering that most competitors offer a relatively inexpensive alternative in a newer lens that has fully automated operation on current bodies.

Paul