Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Is Pentax Worth Buying Anymore?

With Pentax being sold recently, is it a company I can count on to stand behind its products? I think it was sold before this sale not too long ago (could be wrong). If a company changes hands a lot, it makes me wonder about its commitment to consumers and to quality.

I am thinking of buying a K-x, but if it's discontinued, I may wait to see what Pentax releases next.

12-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax was purchased by Hoya in 2008. Hoya primarily wanted only the medical imaging part of Pentax and though they did introduce some innovative cameras like the 645D they were never really interested in the camera part of the business. They sold the camera portion of Pentax to Ricoh this past October. Ricoh has a long history of producing cameras and made SLRs in K-mount for many years. They announced at the purchase signing that they intended to make Pentax into a true competitor in the camera business. After years of Hoya most people are very enthusiastic about the potential for Pentax under the Ricoh flag.

The k-x has been discontinued for quite some time. I think maybe 18 months or a little more. The replacement for the k-x was the k-r which is rumored to be nearing end of life so a new model to replace the k-r is expected soon. If you really want a k-x they are available on ebay used. They seem to have held their value quite well.

So can you count on Pentax? Who knows but I would not let the recent sale affect any decisions, all signs indicate it was a good thing. And while I generally agree that a company that has been sold too many times usually suffers I think this sale was a good thing. Pentax now has an owner who is interested in the products they make and has money to invest in research and development.
12-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #3

Dont listen to all rumors. Pentax is here to stay, its just been mismanaged by a bunch of idiots in the past and ran the company and the good name to ground. Its a good product and you can enjoy it for years to come. Go ahead get your Kx and enjoy the little gem that it is...
12-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-x has been discontinued for a very long time now- it's the K-r that was current and is now on its way out. A replacement is bound to be announced in the coming months, but if you don't want to a. wait and b. pay more, then I would get the K-r now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
With Pentax being sold recently, is it a company I can count on to stand behind its products? I think it was sold before this sale not too long ago (could be wrong). If a company changes hands a lot, it makes me wonder about its commitment to consumers and to quality.

I am thinking of buying a K-x, but if it's discontinued, I may wait to see what Pentax releases next.
Commitment to consumers... well, in terms of keeping the lens mount, I guess that's where Pentax shines. They know they got loyal customers so they kept the mount, unlike other major camera manufacturers who shifted and gave up compatibility as the world moved to AutoFocus.

A lot of Pentax users are also confident with Ricoh at the helm. So in my opinion Pentax will still stay as one of the better brands out there. As for staying alive... well even with Canon and Nikon dominating the scene for long Pentax ain't as dead as Contax isn't it
12-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A second hand K-x is now in the range of $300-350. I think that price is a steal for the camera.
12-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I reckon Pentax builds a superior product, only let down by their marketing department. The K-r and K5 are, in my opinion, far better than the competition, and at a lesser price.
It would be complete business foolishness to fold a company with the long history of Pentax, so if I were you, I'd buy a K-r or K5 NOW, while the price is low. In a few months the new models will be out and prices will be higher again (not as high as Canon/Nikon prices though). The current crop of Pentax DSLR's are excellent, both of 'em.

Regards

12-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax QC slipped way before being acquired by HOYA. Buy Pentax for their Limited lenses. Avoid Pentax for all other reasons. There is no such thing as commitment, all business want is your money.
12-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
A second hand K-x is now in the range of $300-350. I think that price is a steal for the camera.
+1 to that. Very nice camera and at that price a very easy introduction.
12-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax will be around for quite a long time. Sure, they are owned by Ricoh, but that is a good thing -- gives them more money to work with, a necessary thing in the digital age.

The kx is still a very nice camera, has good high iso and dynamic range, just has entry level controls. For the price, you can't beat it right now. The kr is newer and has a few advancements, but even the kr is slated to disappear pretty soon. That is the way with digital cameras -- companies continue to push newer cameras, releasing slight (or sometimes major) improvements every 12 to 18 months.

Choose a camera and go with it. Even if Pentax went belly up (which they won't). Your camera would continue to shoot just fine without problems.
12-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The kx is still a very nice camera, has good high iso and dynamic range, just has entry level controls. For the price, you can't beat it right now.
+1 to this!
12-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
Good points, all. Maybe I will wait to see what kind of camera replaces the K-r. I hope Pentax announces it pretty soon. Has anyone heard anything in this regard?

One reason I want to buy a Pentax is that we have an old Spotmatic from my wife's father, and it has the 50 mm f1.4 lens. It would be great to be able to use it.
12-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Pentax QC slipped way before being acquired by HOYA. Buy Pentax for their Limited lenses. Avoid Pentax for all other reasons. There is no such thing as commitment, all business want is your money.
Wanting return business is as close to commitment as you'll get. Not sure I agree with the avoid pentax for everything but limited lenses, but the business part is dead on.
12-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
One reason I want to buy a Pentax is that we have an old Spotmatic from my wife's father, and it has the 50 mm f1.4 lens. It would be great to be able to use it.
FYI - The Spotmatic used a different lens mount from the k-mount currently in use. No problem, you can get an m42 to K-mount adapter (about $25), then you can use that nice lens on a modern Pentax dslr.
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Every camera manufacturer has their issues. Pentax is no different. Nothing is made like it used to be. They want things to fail so you'll keep on buying. Look at how cheap DVD and VHS players have gotten. They're so crappy one seldom lasts a couple of years without issues. The buttons and batter on every MP3 player I've owned have gone within a year or so and they all have proprietary rechargeable batteries now that most of the companies that make them won't replace. I really think that's intentional.

They talk about limited lifespan like things are supposed to break overnight now. You're lucky if you get a year's warranty on anything anymore. They all want to sell you maintenance agreements that go to 3 years but just try actually getting them to replace something if it does actually break in that time. Been there done that, been furious when it didn't happen. I don't buy long term agreements on electronics anymore simply because they're a total waste of money. It's a complete racket and even when they do honor them quality control in the repair places is iffy. I once got the same HP computer back 3 times and it was never fixed though they had it for 18 weeks almost. That's why I don't buy HP computers anymore, even when they're practically giving away things like the touch pads.

Pentax's QC has had its issues but I hear people talking the same way about the repair shops for Canon and Nikon and such too. What you have to remember is they all get their parts from the same places. QC issues affecting the parts affect them. With all the bad things going on, quakes, flooding et all it's been a bad time recently for the places where they make a lot of the stuff camera makers use. I would expect we'll see a lot of defective electronics in the near future actually and a lot of shortages too. Not just for Pentax but for all the camera makers, the car makers, anything that gets made over there.

Overall I think Pentax is a pretty good brand. They may not have the best support on the planet sometimes but I think they do all right for the most part. I have no hesitation in recommending them. I love my little K-x actually. Even if I suddenly got rich and could afford a K-5 I think I'd still keep it. It's an awesome little camera.