Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Docrwn
I get your point, and your explanation was very instructive. If I'm right contact number 8 (power zoom), isn't available on the picture that you've posted, I think those contacts are the tiny cooper ones inside of HSM/SDM lenses.
Thanks

01-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #17

Yes exactly contact number 8 were used for Power Zoom and correspond to today's location of the HSM/SDM...

Badly HSM/SDM is not working 100% with these contacts. This subject has been widely reported and it seems that it is subject to change from one TC to another and also depends to the lens or body.
So it is really not easy to find the good one
01-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lepiallou Quote
Yes exactly contact number 8 were used for Power Zoom and correspond to today's location of the HSM/SDM...

Badly HSM/SDM is not working 100% with these contacts. This subject has been widely reported and it seems that it is subject to change from one TC to another and also depends to the lens or body.
So it is really not easy to find the good one
lepiallou, Have you experience with one of the brands mentioned below? It seem to be that I would have to choose between Tamnron and Kenko.
pxpaulx user advise me that my best choice should be Tamron. It is a hard work
Thanks
01-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #19

Yes I used a Kenko Pz-af and I was not disappointed.

But I also heard that Tamron TC is Kenko rebranded... And as they tend to be hard to find I guess you can go for the first one you will find

01-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lepiallou Quote
Yes I used a Kenko Pz-af and I was not disappointed.

But I also heard that Tamron TC is Kenko rebranded... And as they tend to be hard to find I guess you can go for the first one you will find
That is crazy talk! Everyone knows the Kenko is Tamron rebranded Actually alot of these pz-af teleconverters from multiple different brands appear quite similar to the point of looking like multiple re-brands, they mostly contain the same terminology as well (like MC4, MC7, even PZ-AF in some cases).

I'm definitely not saying that tamron are the only ones that work...just that I've tried both the 1.4x and 2x pz-af with varying success on a K-5 (and more success with sigma's hsm than pentax's sdm, even on a slower lens, the sigma 120-400mm vs the pentax 50-135mm).
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
pxpauls I didn't know that Kenko is Tamron rebranded
Please, don't give wrong I'm asking for advice and everyone of you people give me your knowledge on this issue, so I wouldn't blame anybody if I finally decide to buy any brand of TC and it won't works as I expected
01-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Actually my Kenko Pz-AF 2x Teleplus MC7 seems to be a Tokina teleconverter. Seems identical in all but the label on the barrel to me, based on photos of the Tokina model.

01-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ogion Quote
Is there any better option rather tan sigma tc?
Hi

What about the PENTAX-F 1.7 x AF TC, I know it is hart to procure and expensive but it is another option is it not?

I have got one and it is a ripper!

Greetings
01-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

What about the PENTAX-F 1.7 x AF TC, I know it is hart to procure and expensive but it is another option is it not?

I have got one and it is a ripper!

Greetings
Schraubstock, I'd search for it on ebay, and I can't believed it cost almost twice than kenko Pz-Af MC7 2x, both of them used

Thanks
01-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schraubstock, I'd search for it on ebay, and I can't believed it cost almost twice than kenko Pz-Af MC7 2x, both of them used

Thanks
Yes I know, the quality of them and the result you get from them is simply more than outstanding. Pentax still make them (it is an old design from the film days) but in very limited numbers and the demand is huge because of its quality. Ricoh need to wake up, put them back into a more regular production. I bought one during my many visits to Japan when they were still cheap many years ago, but I must tell you I would not sell mine at any price now.

Greetings
01-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Yes I know, the quality of them and the result you get from them is simply more than outstanding. Pentax still make them (it is an old design from the film days) but in very limited numbers and the demand is huge because of its quality. Ricoh need to wake up, put them back into a more regular production. I bought one during my many visits to Japan when they were still cheap many years ago, but I must tell you I would not sell mine at any price now.

Greetings
Did you use it with thirth party lenses and keep AF? I want it to use with both Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM and Pentax 16-50 F2.8 and AF is what concerns me.
01-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you use it with thirth party lenses and keep AF? I want it to use with both Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM and Pentax 16-50 F2.8 and AF is what concerns me.
Hi

Yes, I use it with non PENTAX glass. It works with SDM (or similar) and normal screw drive lenses.

The TC disables the lens's AF whether SDM or screw and takes over with its own AF ability. Which means of course in the case of SDM (or similar) you loose this function. In other words all glass will convert to the TC's screw AF. The upside is it will convert a MF lens to a AF lens. But there are limitations. Because the TC is small it has only a short range to achieve focus. This means you can't go from close range to infinity with it. You have to manually focus the lens within range of your target and from there the TC will take over and AF very competently and fast. The other limitation is, as with all TCs, you loose at least 2 stops and this will effect AF. However I use the TC with my TAMRON 24-135 f3.5-5.6 frequently with more than satisfactory results. Have a look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/154265-pentax-f...rter-lens.html.

I am happy to answer further questions.

Greetings