Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

2x converter lens

Does anyone use a 2x converter lens and are they any good. Thanks Phillip

12-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not speaking from experience, but ... conventional wisdom is that 2x is the upper limit for reasonable image quality, and this requires both an excellent fast telephoto and a converter that pairs well with it. So if you're talking about, say, a Pentax-A* 1:2.8 300mm and a Pentax-Rear Converter-A 2x-L, you end up with a reasonable 1:5.6 600mm equivalent. But a slower lens, such as the DA 55-300, is not likely to produce happy results with any 2x converter. For one, it will be too slow to autofocus (even if it is an autofocus converter). You're better off shooting without the TC and cropping.
12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are two kinds of converters, those that go behind the lens, and those that go in front of it. Neither tends to be any good unless they're rather costly. As baro-nite said, rear-mounted teleconverters (TCs) are best when matched to a specific lens. They will eat light, so you'll need longer exposure times and will have autofocus problems, as well as having lower contrast and other image quality ( IQ) problems. A front-mounted tele adapter won't eat light but will probably introduce more optical distortion, especially the cheap Chinese crap that pervades eBay. Also, any tele add-on will magnify any existing problems of the host lens.

My recommendation: If content is more important than IQ, like with surveillance and blackmail and crime planning, then a cheap tele add-on can be useful. If you want an image that actually looks photographic, and not like the product of a spy.cam, then shoot with what you have and crop the pictures to size. Have fun!
12-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some teleconverters can be found for not very much money. $10-$20. If you see one in that price range, buy it and see for yourself. We can't know what your standards are but I have to agree with many of the comments above. The two teleconverters I have, one from Focal and one even less reputable, capture images with satisfying results on a few lenses; worse on others. But in general, I can shoot an image with an average xx-300mm lens and crop it (enlarge) a certain amount and it will have the same quality as if I had used a tc.
Though I have seen plenty of people with very good results from 1.7 and 2x converters.

12-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone I think I'll just save my money and try and find a bigger 2nd hand lens this summer