Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Can I switch to the TIFF format?

Hi, my camera is a K100 D Super. It takes photos in the JPEG format, but I would like to switch to the TIFF format instead and I can't find the setting for that. Perhaps there isn't one?

Thank you in advance.

12-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't think there is.

Have you considered RAW?
12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by greenhome Quote
Hi, my camera is a K100 D Super. It takes photos in the JPEG format, but I would like to switch to the TIFF format instead and I can't find the setting for that. Perhaps there isn't one?

Thank you in advance.
You can't go directly to TIFF. You can go to Pentax's RAW format, PEF. You might be able to do DNG like my K10D can, but I'm not sure if that was ever available in the 100's. From PEF you can go to TIFF through most post processing programs.
12-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
There is a RAW setting but doesn't it require additional steps? I'm new at this. I just need decent photos for my website and I understand it's better to work on the images in TIFF than in JPEG, but I can always save them in TIFF when I transfer them from iPhoto, I suppose.

12-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Even if the camera supported TIFF, there are no benefits using it and there are great disadvantages for in-camera storage. The camera sensor has a mosaiced pattern of red, green, and blue pixels. Each pixel is measured in 12 bits (at least in your camera). The RAW file has those original measurements. A TIFF file uses pixels that are not mosaiced and have all 3 values in each location, requiring 24 or 48 bits (8 or 16 bits per primary). To go from RAW to TIFF in camera, the same process as going to JPEG must take place, where the image is demosaiced and the RGB values for each location are calculated. The file it will be twice as big as the RAW file since each pixel uses 24 bits vs. 12.

Furthermore, the original 12 bits have been processed down to 8 bits (for a 24-bit TIFF) and there is no way to go back and adjust the original data. You can use 16-bit TIFF to store all the original 12 bits per color along with the computed ones, but the size will jump to 4x of the RAW. A 12 MP uncompressed image will be 72 MB vs. 18 in RAW.

Once you get the images of the camera, you can use your favorite RAW converter and then generate a TIFF for further processing and printing. You still have the original "negative" to go back and change it if needed.
12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

There is a RAW setting but doesn't it require additional steps? I'm new at this. I just need decent photos for my website and I understand it's better to work on the images in TIFF than in JPEG, but I can always save them in TIFF when I transfer them from iPhoto, I suppose.
Just use JPEG. RAW is completely unnecessary for web quality photos. Furthermore iPhoto is a non-destructive editor. iPhoto creates a copy of the original file and then applies all your changes to that file. Any further changes are then applied to a new copy of the original file.

If you do shoot in RAW i'm pretty sure iPhoto automatically applies the custom image settings from the camera. Aperture does.
12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you have iPhoto and want the best quality, shoot in raw. iPhoto can open the files and work on them just fine without prior conversion. If you want to post to the web, email or message, then save a copy as jpeg. No need for conversion until you want to output the photos for another purpose. You can even print directly from PEF in iPhoto. If you need to print from other than your own printer, then you can save as TIFF, or use the highest quality JPEG setting.
12-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but I can always save them in TIFF when I transfer them from iPhoto, I suppose.
There is absolutely nothing to gain by saving a jpeg as a tiff. Anything that has been lost through jpeg compression is gone forever. If you don't want to throw information away, shoot in RAW.

12-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
@DEMP10: Ouch! I guess I didn't make it clear that I was new at digital photography! Think I'll just stick to the JPEG format and try to improve my shots by taking all the lynda.com digital photography courses!

@Parralax: thanks for the explanation; it makes sense.
12-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

greenhome, I did not pay attention to you join date. Welcome onboard.

JPEG will be fine to start and will probably meet most of your needs. When it is time to move to a better format you will know it.

Enjoy your new camera and happy shooting.
12-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, yes it's a lot of fun learning how to use the camera, finally, after two years of using it like a point-and-shoot! I still miss my B&W Tri-X film and the Pentax body that went with it, though.