Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

carl zeiss jena tessar 50mm f2.8 problem

Dear Pentax-ers,

I have just acquired the above lens carl zeiss jena tessar 50mm f2.8, but I have a problem to address.

I use this lens for my D60 (nikon) with M42-Nikon adapter. However, the aperture blades of the lens don't close when I turn the aperture ring. It always stays at 2.8. There is a level next to the aperture ring, if I press, the blade will close to the chosen aperture, if I stop pressing, the blades come back to 2.8 position.

How can I close the aperture to my prefered position?

Thank you

12-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure that the lens that you are using comes in multiple forms depending on mount and era of manufacture, one with semi automatic diaphragm (a switch sets it to "auto" or "manual"), one that is a preset lens, and one with automatic diaphragm. I think the switch that you are referring to is working as designed for that particular make of lens - press the lever and hold it while exposing.

Hope that helps!
12-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there an auto/manual diaphragm switch on the lens? That should be in manual if you're not using it on a native m42 camera that supports open-aperture metering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
This is the lever that I mentioned

There are this lever on the lens itself and a pin on the mount. No A/M Switch as I usual see on other lens.

I can't hold the lever and take photo at the same time lol. Any other way?

12-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh108 Quote
This is the lever that I mentioned

There are this lever on the lens itself and a pin on the mount. No A/M Switch as I usual see on other lens.

I can't hold the lever and take photo at the same time lol. Any other way?
I'll guess that this lens was transitional between preset and auto-aperture. (I have one each of those.) I once had a weird Vivitar-Tokina 28mm with a similar switch and problem. My solution? I sold the lens. You might think of selling yours as an uncommon collector's item and getting a more usable copy. It's not like Tessars are rare, eh?
12-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi

It is like most M42 lenses , there is a small pin on the back that has to be pushed in to close the aperture. The lever on the side
was for stop down use.
You can remove the back of the lens ( 3 screws ) and put a spacer on the pin to lock it in manual, similar to the takumar mods or make
a small wedge to hold the outside lever.
When it is locked just set the f stop to what you need and use the camera in Av mode with ev set at 1.7, not a problem for dark viewfinder you never should need more than f5.6 anyways.
That is a fantastic lens one of the best that I have used, don't sell it.
12-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
It is like most M42 lenses , there is a small pin on the back that has to be pushed in to close the aperture.
Many M42s indeed have the aperture-link pin. Those of preset vintage, don't. Some newer M42 have ONLY the aperture pin, with no M/A switch; on these, the pin must be jiggered down, else the lens only works wide-open.

QuoteQuote:
That is a fantastic lens one of the best that I have used, don't sell it.
Oh yes, the optics are splendid. My tiny Exakta-mount version (12 iris blades) is always with me. But CZJ Tessar 50/2.8s are just very very common. One that works (for the user) is better than one that doesn't.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-28-2011 at 04:00 PM.
01-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I had the same problem with a Zeiss Pancolor. The least invasive solution I found was to cut a tiny piece off a small rubber washer and jam it tightly into the lever opening, forcing it to stay in manual position. You want to use a small bit and push it in deeply so it won't put too much drag on the aperture ring.

01-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focus the lens, depress lever to allow for aperture select, light touch on the shutter button to get it to meter, then take your pic.
Otherwise find a flanged M42 adaptor that will depress the aperture pin.