Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Upgrading my K100D...

So I'm finally upgrading my K100D. I haven't been in the market for a new camera in 5 years or so. It looks like the only two choices are the K-r and the K-5. Is that about right? My budget is around $600...but I could probably do the K-5 if I save for another couple months.

When I go to bhphoto.com all of the K-r packages show as "discontinued"...which has me a little worried. Is Pentax abandoning the mid-level Dslr market?

I have 3 Pentax lenses and an external flash...so I'd really like to stay in the Pentax family...but the lack of choices has me a bit worried....

12-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you check with Adorama.
12-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Likely you will see some new model announcements during CES in January (a KR replacement i would assume) Events of the last (tsunamis and Floods aside from the ownership change) year have thrown a wrench in model changeovers and kr seems to have run short before the change unlike previous model transitions where they overlap. Another alternative at the $600 price would be a good used K7 with change leftover
not as good at high iso as a K5 (but a big improvement on the K100D) but much the same camera in all other aspects and build and ergonomics wise it has a big edge on the Kr IMO
Ricoh has been playing things very close to their chest but the rumours leaking out hint at a very interesting year. (Kr and K5 replacement for certain, rumoured FF and Mirrorless cameras as well)
Ricoh plans a K mount GXR module as well this year

K5 has taken some pretty steep drops in Canada lately and getting one at 999 or less has been quite common so it may be worth watching that trend in the US

EDIT: aside from the packages for the 35 2.4/body why would you want a package, the kit lens really isn't any different than the one you probably have already)
12-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax has always been a 2 body company - the K-r is being marked as discontinued at some retailers, though no official announcement has been made by Pentax. There is certainly no abandoning of the low/mid-market line, it is likely that a K-r successor will be announced soon (both bodies are due for a replacement based on Pentax's typical new release schedule, which is likely delayed due to new ownership of Ricoh). That also means that you're probably looking at about the best K-r prices you'll see (for a new camera anyway). Once stock is low the prices will start to go back up, at least a small amount. You might also want to consider a used K-x, which is still an absolutely great camera - would leave some room to upgrade a current lens or acquire a new one!

12-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies...definitely glad I registered here on this site. Sounds like maybe I should wait a couple months to see what is announced. My K100D is still chugging along...and should last me another 6 months or so.

I am really liking the looks of the K-5. Would your recommendation be to get that or wait to see what Ricoh announces in the Spring?
12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-5 is a spectacular camera - I think for many users it will be a very hard sell to get them to upgrade from it to the latest and greatest, it is just that good. If you know your way around the camera, want more direct control over the camera's actions and are interested in the weather sealing, I'd say hold out for the K-5 (though I don't think prices will be going much lower except on the used market). If the controls of the K100d are sufficient for you, you are careful with your camera (i.e. don't need the rugged K-5 build) and aren't interested in weather sealing, the K-r will serve you for a long time...after all, you've held out this long with the K100d!
12-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If I were you, I'd wait and see what the K-r and K-5 replacements will look like. I'm in the same boat, i.e., have a K100D and want to upgrade. I've been tempted by the K-5 which surely is a great camera if you can get a good copy (there have been a multitude of QC problems), but it still has a low light AF issue and a flash overexposure problem. If the latter issues are not relevant to how you want to use the camera, you can go ahead with it, but I'd definitely wait to see what the K-r replacement will look like.
12-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Just wait, that CCD sensor still holds its own.

12-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd wait to see what the next generation will or won't bring. I have a K100, and it's still a good camera. I use it sometimes, even though I also have a newer model (K200.) Obviously a K100 isn't a K5 in terms of image quality, but maybe a K5 isn't a K100 in terms of quality control, either.

Paul
12-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies.

I re-checked prices and I think the K-5 is definitely out of my price range. I'll probably wait to see what the K-r replacement will look like...hopefully it will be announced in January at CES. I can't really consider the K-x because it lack the visual AF points in the viewfinder. I use these all the time on my K100D and I can't imagine buying a "new" camera that lacks this feature.

I'll probably wait to see what they announce. If it sounds good I'll wait...if it doesn't sound good I'll go ahead and pick up a K-r.
12-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi

I have the K10 and my wife has the K100
In my opinion, if you are going to go for a K-r I would think about getting a great lens instead, unless you are happy with the glass you have.
Unless you need bigger enlargments, or what more options, the K100 is a great low noise camera.
The only reason I bought the K10 was it has more manual controls and more frames per second...But to be quite frank, my wife's K100 wins at high ISO hands down every time. so think about what you want out of a camera, compare what you have to what you get in the Kr, because the K100 is a great camera for most people, regardless of megapixels.
I would opt for a Pentax *50-135mm 2.8 and make a new body purchase when you can either buy a K5 or a newer model in the coming year

just my opinion, good luck with your decision

cheers