Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

The Japanese generally are crazy about being photographed. (They are crazy about photography full stop) Point your cam at them and out comes the pose. This postie is a total stranger and it was bitterly cold but he could still manage a smile for me. Experienced this sort of behavior many times. So in Japan one has no problems.

Greetings
Nice shot...love the chains on the tires. they are illegal here
the craze for being photographed has pluses and minus since they are then interacting with the camera rather than the environment

02-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Cannot resist showing this Pentax gadget (From the Spotmatic II Operator's Manual). Yes, the problem isn't exactly new!

And going back to the issue of ethics an legal regulations: Public Transportation will in many places be excluded from the rights to photograph in public spaces. And I think there is good reason for that. In situations where people don't have the fredom to hide and/or turn away it is unethical to photograph them without consent.
Attached Images

02-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I actually have one of those mirror attachments. It came with a Tair lens that I bought on Ebay. But I never had the guts to take it out in public though. In my opinion it's less scary to give a smile and just to point my camera straight at someone, then to take such a 'spy'-attachment and to risk being labelled as a weirdo.
02-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I actually have one of those mirror attachments. It came with a Tair lens that I bought on Ebay. But I never had the guts to take it out in public though. In my opinion it's less scary to give a smile and just to point my camera straight at someone, then to take such a 'spy'-attachment and to risk being labelled as a weirdo.
Mostly I find the most effective thing is to just shoot without being self conscious and you will fade into the background in more populated spaces (where the environment is also more target rich so to speak). On streets with little pedestrian traffic and diversion you will be more obvious and more likely to be questioned by someone you took a picture of (silent shutters make a big difference in this scenario)

If anyone does question you just be polite and if they want a shot deleted then do so (you can always swap cards and recover if it was a work of art.....most street shots aren't heck most shots aren't

02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
In Germany it is not legal. It's called "the rights to your own pictures" (Google ‹bersetzer). The biggest exception is pictures where you are only "irrelevant" minor detail, such as a picture of a public building and your face is somewhere small in the corner. It's part of copyright laws and extends to 10 years after your death.

There seem to be similar laws in switzerland, austria and italy.

Even if your visiting a TV show as audience they have to get your written approval (usually required prior to entry) to be able to use shots of you.

As I said. Here I do have a full claim to any pictures taken of my. More than the one using some technical device to do so. I can forbid it and get componsation for it.
AFAIK in Switzerland it's legal to take pictures of people, however big or small they are featured in the picture, so long as they're in a public space and you're not depicting them in despicable or intimate (real or implied) behaviours (i.e. private matters).
Not for commercial (advertising, endorsements) works, though. In that case you do need a model release.

Shooting on private properties might be a different thing altogether, I don't know.
02-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
AFAIK in Switzerland it's legal to take pictures of people, however big or small they are featured in the picture, so long as they're in a public space and you're not depicting them in despicable or intimate (real or implied) behaviours (i.e. private matters).
Not for commercial (advertising, endorsements) works, though. In that case you do need a model release.

Shooting on private properties might be a different thing altogether, I don't know.
As long as it is editorial use i think you can shoot in most countries without a model release (news organizations would be in deep Sh*t otherwise
Private property restrictions are common enough though (but they don't apply to people shooting from a public space ie taking a picture of a building from the roadway even if there are people visible. for non editorial use though you would need model and property releases
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

The Japanese generally are crazy about being photographed. (They are crazy about photography full stop) Point your cam at them and out comes the pose.
Same situation in much of Mesoamerica. I've whipped out a P&S at major highway construction sites in Mexico and Guatemala and had DOZENS of workers stop and mug for me! A good excuse for a quick break, eh? I've also wandered around Guatemala in a full white beard and had zillions of little kids anxious to have their photos taken by "Santa Claus".

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I actually have one of those mirror attachments.
So do I, bought in the earliest days of my lens frenzy. I should use it more often. Works best on my FA50/1.4, although I should try it on my F35-70 (my only AF lenses with 49mm threds). The main problem, other than being dorky, is that it's counterintuitive -- images and motions are reversed, as with a waist-level VF, so there's a learning curve.
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Hi

The Japanese generally are crazy about being photographed. (They are crazy about photography full stop) Point your cam at them and out comes the pose. This postie is a total stranger and it was bitterly cold but he could still manage a smile for me. Experienced this sort of behavior many times. So in Japan one has no problems.

Greetings
Struth! That's one serious Postie bike. It's got snow 'chains' and all.

02-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
chains on the tires. they are illegal here
WHAT ?
Illigal in Canada ? Toronto ? I am puzzled !

Greetings
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #55
Veteran Member

If anyone is going to be at the CP+ show how about a report on this lecture?

Last edited by crewl1; 11-25-2013 at 10:33 AM.
02-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

WHAT ?
Illigal in Canada ? Toronto ? I am puzzled !

Greetings
they destroy the roads. they've been illegal on the road for decades now. Toronto has no snow anyway (at least not this year - we've had less than we would normally get in the first 2 weeks of December at this point and barely any bitter cold days. Aussies like Jezza who moved here last spring must think all the warnings we gave him about being prepared for winter were a load of bollocks

Even Quebec where they get serious snowfall doesn't allow them. they have though mandated proper winter tires no all season junk.
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If anyone is going to be at the CP+ show how about a report on this lecture?
Sounds like a good lecture (he doesn't look like a street tog lol)