Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Pentax Kx downloading images to pc

Hi,

I hope someone may be able to help. With my Pentax Kx I am having trouble downloading my pictures to my PC. It transfers some then seizes up. I can veiw the photos on the camera but when downloading it completely stops. I previously had a Pentax istd and never encountered this problem. The fisrt Kx I purchased was faultly and the distributor replaced. Now I am having this problem with downloads and am starting to feel is this worth the hassel and go to another brand. Has anyone else had the same issues or knows what is going on.

Cheers
John

12-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does you PC not have a built in card reader?
If not I would suggest you buy a card reader...

I've not had any of these issues with my K-x (2 years ish) and did start out with a cable to download pictures like you are doing...

What firmware are you running on K-x? (check by holding 'menu' as you switch on K-x)
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mel03syd2 Quote
Pentax Kx I am having trouble downloading my pictures to my PC
This is not an issue that seems to get many mentions so it is not something that is common in Pentax cameras. I would look at the entire chain before deciding it was the camera. I assume you are using the cable? If so then you have: camera, ->cable, -> USB port. Any of those could be at fault. Are you using any software to download or just windows?

As mentioned above if you have a card reader that is IMHO a better solution all around than the cable (which I usually misplace anyway)

I once spent an entire work day trying to diagnose a printer problem, only to find the user had been bringing their cat to work and it liked to sleep behind the printer stand. Cable was chewed to shreds, just enough left to partially work and drive me nuts.
12-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've had a K-x for 2 years now, and never had a problem downloading, using the supplied cable. But, cables can fail through mechanical stress, or electronic surge. Mine's still fine. When away from home, I simply plug th SD card into a computer in a cafe or whatever, and likewise no probs!

My usual downloads are in the region of 30 to 70 at a time. If that helps, sometimes more than once a day. I would be surprised if it's the camera. I use windows to download, still no probs.

Cheers Paddy

12-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The USB connector in a dslr is attached to the motherboard with simple solder joints. There is no physical strain relief. It is only the electrical connections, that are soldered to the circuit traces on the motherboard, that secures the connector in place. Such solder joints are not designed to handle ant physical strain, especially side-to-side forces.

If you are not very careful attaching the cable (and even if you are careful), or if the camera gets pushed to one side or the cable is pulled while connected, the strain can pop those solder connections, resulting in a non-functional or intermittent USB cable port.

For that reason, I almost never use the USB cable on my K10D. On the rare occasions when I do, I treat it with kid gloves, being extremely careful that the camera is supported, and the cable is positioned in such a way that I can't snag it and jerk the camera.

I virtually always take the SD card out of the camera and use a card reader in my PC. In addition to avoiding physical damage to the camera's USB port, it doesn't drain the battery in the camera and its faster, to boot.

Switching brands won't help much. All brands use the same construction.

The best solution is to get and use a card reader on your PC. They're not expensive. Most PC's built in the last five years already have one builtint. If not, get one. If you're comfortable opening the PC and making a connection to the motherboard, an internal card read only costs about $15 from one of the mail-order computer stores and takes about ten minutes to install.

If you get a card reader, just make sure it can handle SDHC cards (> 2GB). Some can only handle SD cards (=< 2GB).
01-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel03syd2 Quote
Hi,

I hope someone may be able to help. With my Pentax Kx I am having trouble downloading my pictures to my PC. It transfers some then seizes up. I can veiw the photos on the camera but when downloading it completely stops. I previously had a Pentax istd and never encountered this problem. The fisrt Kx I purchased was faultly and the distributor replaced. Now I am having this problem with downloads and am starting to feel is this worth the hassel and go to another brand. Has anyone else had the same issues or knows what is going on.

Cheers
John
I agree with the suggestions above. A card reader will do better and keep accidental damage mostly out (as cables are usually also prone to being tripped on, unexpectedly pulled etc especially when there are kids/pets around)