Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Arrrrrgh, stop bending these levers!!!

A more subtle mod is to drill another locking hole into the lens, so it will lock halfway turned into the mount, before the aperture lever is engaged by the camera actuator...

This way, you can still use it as a true M lens if needed, by using the original locking hole.
Don't understand your suggestion,how will it help?I don't see that I bent the lever but straightened it out.
Thanks,
Jake

01-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Wasn't aware that the allow aperture ring setting was ignored
No, not the "allow aperture ring" setting - I mean the *actual aperture ring* is ignored in any mode but M. In all other modes, the camera always shoots with the lens wide open (maximum aperture) and an automatically chosen shutter speed. Only M mode allows you to actually control the aperture with the aperture ring. So it isn't just that M mode is "recommended" when using manual lenses - it is the only mode that actually works. All other modes just shoot wide open all the time, regardless of what aperture you set on the ring.
01-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc,thanks for pointing that out for me.I take it that this is true with both A and M lens?After shooting Spotmatics for about 40 years and being part of the over the hill gang it is hard for me to get to know the modern camera and remember all the settings but am trying.Does this mean that if I set the dial to TV with a M type lens set to f22 the camera will open it up to 2.8 or wide open?
Thanks,
Jake
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It's true of *all* lenses that have aperture rings, including M, A, F, and FA. The aperture ring setting is completely ignored by all DSLR's (as well as the last few Pentax film SLR's) in any automatic mode, because the cameras lack the hardware needed to read the aperture ring. The only way to control the aperture using the ring with *any* of these lenses is in M mode, where the camera doesn't *need* to read the aperture ring. Of course, with A, F, and FA lenses, you wouldn't normally use the aperture ring at all - you'd leave it in the "A" position and let the camera control the aperture. So only lenses with aperture rings that lack the "A" setting - like M and the older "K" series - need to be used in M mode.

In all other modes, the aperture ring is ignored and the lens is left eide open - f/2.8 in your example, even though you set the ring to f/22. Note that Tv mode wouldn't make sense with an aperture rng anyhow - the whole idea of Tv mode is that you set the shutter speed and the *camera* chooses the aperture. It's Av mode that would allow you to set the aperture and have the camera set the shutter speed. So when using the aperture ring, all modes other than M actually behave as Av mode with the aperture forced wide open. It will be as if you had set the aperture to f/2.8, and the camera will choose an appropriate shutter speed.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
01-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Think I need a camera with two mode settings,auto and manual.My head don't work good enough these days to keep up with new technology but still try.
Thanks,
Jake
01-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

You have a camera with those two settings. Justnignore the other ones. I do. 99% of my shooting is in manual (M), but every once it a while, if I hand the camera to someone else to use or just feel like not thinking about light (rare - that's like going to a concert but not caring about music, or to a restaurant and not caring about food), I set it to automatic (P) mod. The other modes are there on the dial but we just leave each other alone and all is well.
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Believe you are right on the money.The only modes that I can see any use in are auto,tv,av and manual,even the tv and av seems to be a little quirky while all the others add to the confusion as I can't figure out exactly what the camera software is trying to do.Was just wondering if any long time shooters use any of the many modes.Will take your advise and mainly stay with auto and manual but may try to use tv and av at times with a lens.
Thanks,
Jake
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mainly use M and Av. M if I am using a PK lens stopped down, or in those cases where I know the exact aperture and shutter speed I want (e.g. long exposures). Av for just about everything else. Other modes certainly have their uses but these two suit me for most of the shooting I do.