Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exif

When using Picasa, it seems that it strips all of my JPGs of their EXIF when I save them after editing. Is there anyway to get this EXIF data back after saving? Or am I essentially out of luck?

*EDIT* And while we're at it.. Any suggestions for a good, free photo editor that will tide me over until I can get my hands on Photoshop?

Last edited by jbuck92; 12-31-2011 at 01:43 PM.
12-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure if this will work. I have copied a thread I started asking members opinions about software. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1656...re-novice.html

two suggestions
1. backup your original untouched photos. I do mine before I clean my cards
2. if you use a program such as adobe lightroom, your originals are not changed and therefor not degraded. The changes only occur when the photos are exported. the lightroom program imitates the changes on your screen and stores the data for when you are ready to export. I found a small amount of the exif data was stripped when exported.
12-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great thanks! I'll be sure to do that. I usually backup all my photos but for some reason I didn't in this case. Oh well. I'll look through that list and see what I can find for some software. I'll definitely be wishing for CS5/LR in the future though.
12-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picasa by default saves a copy of the original file after editing. Check your Picasa folder - there should be a sub-folder there called 'originals'.

12-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm.. I can't seem to find an "originals" folder anywhere in my Picasa folder.
12-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I believe that Photome (PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor) can copy EXIF data file from one file to another :eg from an original file to a process file. Photome is a freeware.

Hope that the comment may help.
12-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Hmm.. I can't seem to find an "originals" folder anywhere in my Picasa folder.
sorry, my bad - check your photo folders for the 'originals' sub-folder. For example, in a folder called "Christmas shots 2011", you'll find the originals folder. (if you saved an edit) There should be one for each of your photo folders where you saved an edited file. Picasa even prompts you when saving, that a copy of the original was saved to disk.

Last edited by paulh; 12-31-2011 at 03:06 PM.
12-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any suggestions for a good, free photo editor that will tide me over until I can get my hands on Photoshop?
Photoshop is total overkill for photography, IMHO. If you are a graphic artist or professional then great. For mere mortals who just want to edit and adjust photos then Photoshop Elements is more than enough if you want to stay with Adobe. And Lightroom is by far the best choice for photographers unless you need layers or something else that it does not do. I use Lightroom for 95% of my needs and then edit in GIMP or Elements if I need something specific.

For free editor try GIMP. Free, open source and more than most of us will ever need.
12-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those aren't there either.
12-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Photoshop is total overkill for photography, IMHO. If you are a graphic artist or professional then great. For mere mortals who just want to edit and adjust photos then Photoshop Elements is more than enough if you want to stay with Adobe. And Lightroom is by far the best choice for photographers unless you need layers or something else that it does not do. I use Lightroom for 95% of my needs and then edit in GIMP or Elements if I need something specific.

For free editor try GIMP. Free, open source and more than most of us will ever need.
For those of us who use Macs, Aperture and Pixelmator are all you need.
12-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Faststone is a good free editor, as is Paint.Net, which has a bunch of plugins available.
12-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those aren't there either.
You may have changed the default settings in Picasa. If you did, then a copy of the original wouldn't be saved. Go into 'preferences' and check your settings. Here's a screenshot of my file manager (PCLinuxOS, but would look similar to Win or Mac). I've opened the 'Dec 3 28mm' folder, and inside you can see the originals sub-folder. At any rate, I also recommend Faststone for a good free editor.

12-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
For free, Picasa and GIMP are what I have used and recommend to my students. For photography usage I would recommend Lightroom over Photoshop any day. Photoshop can do some things that LR can't but I can live without those things. I suppose GIMP might do them for free, but I haven't thought to try that until now.
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'll look into GIMP and Faststone for a new editor
01-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #15

GIMP v Windows

Like the thread you have going here. I found on my lap top, that GIMP is Not compatible with Windows 7. Made that discovery after downloading "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor"