Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10 grip pin down

Has anyone had this problem? It is a genuine Pentax grip for the K10
Has anyone taken this apart to find the problem?This pin controls the autofocus, unfortunately
the only thread on this forum is over a year old and has not been solved

BTW I already tried electric spray

thanks

01-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem, only mine was a corner pin. I used a hobby knife to cut enough plastic away to let it move and it has worked ever since.
01-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

Hi Parallax,

Can you offer a little more detail of your process. I had the same issue and tried your hobby knife technique and I'm not having success with it. I carved out some plastic around the pin. When it didn't pop back by itself, I figured that since it was spring loaded (at least the other ones were) I could press down on the pin to help it spring back. I ended up just pressing it farther into the hole.

Was your pin still spring loaded when you worked on it? How much plastic did you carve out?

Thanks!
01-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try to poke the pin with the point of the knife and lift it up. They are soft brass. Once it's up, straighten it if necessary.

01-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't try to raise the pin but I reseated the grip and it seems to be functioning fine right now... as far as raising the pin, isn't it on a spring?

thanks for the great help so far

cheers
01-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes a member here had the same problem. He keeps the pics/post active so others may follow the directions to repair your grip. Its a fairly (relative?) simply job, no soldering...

My shutter button main switch that enables DOF preview, or live-view was failing big time. The shutter button main switch would stick on over on live-view, DOF... ;not good at all. My grip has no warranty now. I Had nothing to lose so I used the pics below and the dSLR service manuals to fix my problem. I had to clean the contacts, then the step some forget about is I used a suitable very thin layer of lubricant as called for in the service manuals for Pentax dSLRs. Grease is used on the edials just a note. Here is all you need to know to take it apart.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/65680-pen...-repair-2.html
01-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips Parallax. It's all appreciated.

I think my pin is down the hole too far to tease out with a knife. I tried without success. My spring must have sprung on that pin so it doesn't want to come back up. It's a bummer that my grip isn't 100% functional, but the good news is that I lost functionality to something I probably won't use too often. The battery functionality still works fine as well as most of the controls, but one of the control dials is non-functional because of the pin.

Thanks again.

01-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
GREAT! thanks very much
once it quits working for good, I am going to follow the instructions

thanks again
01-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I also had the same problem with one of my pins. I tried everything to and get that little bugger to pop back up but it just wouldn't budge. I finally got it unstuck with a flat head micro screw driver. I jammed it in beside the pin and pried on it until POP, it was back up. I now am a little more careful when I have put my grip back on after changing the battery.
01-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I also had the same problem with one of my pins. I tried everything to and get that little bugger to pop back up but it just wouldn't budge. I finally got it unstuck with a flat head micro screw driver. I jammed it in beside the pin and pried on it until POP, it was back up. I now am a little more careful when I have put my grip back on after changing the battery.
thanks paul

was it still spring loaded after?

cheers

randy