Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Iamge files issue

I took some pictures using my *ist D body and one Sandisk Ultra II CF card. These pictures can be viewed on the camera. However, when the card is connected to PC via a card reader or a cable I can only see some strange files as shown below and the DCIM fold is empty!

I also took some pictures using another card (Transcend) and all pictures were under DCIM/101PENTX folder and I had no problem to transfer them to a PC.

Does anyone know how to recover the pictures on this Sandisk card? Thanks.

(seen on Wincow XP machine)

(Same card seen on an Ubuntu machine)

01-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use a program like "Photo Recovery" by "MjM data recovery" (it is freeware) or any other similar, and see if it helps to find the files. Once you recover them, I would strongly suggest to re-format the card within the camera.
01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've tried free recovery programs with mixed success. My current tool is Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery. It's a free download. You can try it and find out if it sees your files. If it does, pay the license fee to recover the images. Whatever you do, avoid using the card or even sticking it back into the computer or camera before you aim a recovery program at it.

And to follow up on demp10's suggestion, after formatting take only a couple of test shots. Never trust an untested card.
01-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, demp10 & mysticcowboy
I got an error when running Photo Recovery - Run-time error 6: overflow.
I then tried a program called CardRecovery. It did detect *.PEF files on the card. I will try Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery soon.

Edit: after uninstall and reinstall Photo Recovery the runtime error is gone.

Last edited by ddhytz; 01-01-2012 at 11:26 PM.
01-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Recuva from Piriform is worth a try.
01-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't there an upper limit on the size of compatible CF cards with the istD, or did they fix that via firmware?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Isn't there an upper limit on the size of compatible CF cards with the istD, or did they fix that via firmware?
I checked Pentax website about fw 1.12
Changes to V.1.12: Correspond to the media card that exceeded 4GB, also Version 1.12 contain the additional function which was released at Version 1.10 ~ 1.11

My *ist D has fw 1.11 so it is definitely the size of the card that caused this problem. Will update the fw tonight.

Last edited by ddhytz; 01-05-2012 at 12:36 AM.