Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M mode is on the mode dial (next to Av); page 110 of the (english) manual.

X is basically a mode where the shutter speed is set to 1/180s; not sure if the K-r actually has the setting, but you can use M mode to get 1/180s or 1/160s (more than likely depending if you have the camera configured for 1/2 Ev steps or 1/3 Ev steps); for now, don't worry to much about 1/180s or 1/160s.

01-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davea66 Quote
Thanks for all the good advice, I shall keep off the AUTO PICT mode and use the other modes available.
I am still trying to get my head around the various modes available and Tv Av Sv are straightforward enough.
I am not sure about the P mode though and cannot find the M or X options mentioed above?
M mode is on the wheel next to Av.
I've been told the Kr doesn't have x-mode though.

With M mode everything is manual, sound scary but it just need some practice.
I've no idea how the viewfinder looks of the Kr because you will need to for correct exposure.
01-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #18

Original Poster
My old 35mm SLR was fully manual - not an auto setting in sight. The only help was a built in exposure meter!
I just need to get back into that mindset after years of point and shoot pocket cameras.

Just need to get the auto focus sorted now, as there is not much help in the viewfinder for manual focus ( i.e. no split-image etc.)

Thanks for your help!
Dave
01-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It is usually easier to shoot in AV mode.
If you do a wide open aperture, then for sure the camera would give you the highest speed setting it can for the right exposure in conjunction with your chosen aperture setting..more so with the built-in flash.
If you are worried about a shallow DOF with the aperture wide open then crank it down a bit and try to keep tabs of the suggested shutter speed that the camera would choose with your chosen aperture setting. If you think that the shutter speed chosen by the camera is to your liking, then go by that AV setting.
Another factor which most overlook and should do to avoid motion blur is the simple and proper way of holding/gripping your dslr and tripping the shutter.
Cradle the camera underneath with the left hand, and the right hand just rests on the camera grip, so that when you do trip the shutter you won't pound on the shutter with your finger. Clip both your elbows on the sides of your ribs as you hold the camera to provide extra support and minimize camera shake.
Even though the camera has already focused, remember that Pentax dslr's also have the SR so let it kick in too. This is the "hand" icon with the 2 curved lines on both sides of it..so it isn't just the green hex that you should look out for to suggest locked focus but also wait for the hand sign to stop flashing to indicate your in-body SR has kicked-in too to counteract camera shake.

01-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #20

Original Poster
I have been experimenting with both Av and Tv and getting to know the camera, which is helping a lot and proving very enjoyable along the way!
One thing I dont really get is the P Mode (Program Line)?
I have noticed some problems in tungsten lighting with the focus being in the wrong place and think this may be called Front Focus?
Not really sure what this is and how best to counteract the effect?

Cheers

Dave
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have noticed some problems in tungsten lighting with the focus being in the wrong place and think this may be called Front Focus?
Not really sure what this is and how best to counteract the effect?
K-r seems to suffer from that. Latest firmware? And for some people, setting whitebalance to tungsten (under those conditions) solves the issue (from hearsay)
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

just about all lenses are relatively soft wide open, most are sharpest at f8. What aperture you need depends on what depth of field you want, what shutter speed you need for handheld depends on the focal length you are using, so the ISO comes out to whatever gives you the desired aperture and shutter speed. Since most of my photography is on a tripod I can use ISO 100, but for handheld I have to increase it.

An excellent site for DoF information:

http://www.dofmaster.com

I use Av mode all the time, but that's because that is how my original Pentax camera (ME Super) worked, and I got the feel for it.

01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like the auto pict mode uses the 'slow speed sync' flash mode, and at least in my K-x that cannot be changed when in that mode.
You are better off as others suggest, switching to AV mode, then make sure to use manual flash sync. It is accessed through the bottom button of the 4 way controller.
01-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing I dont really get is the P Mode (Program Line)?
You can investigate P mode by observing how it reacts to alternating light. Eg. point the camera
gradually from a lamp towards the shade and watch the exposure change on the rear lcd.
Try it with auto ISO on and off.

You'll find that P mode places equal importance on shutter speed and aperture. It slows the shutter
speed and opens the aperture in equal proportions as light decreases, until it reaches wide open
aperture and a shutter speed that matches the focal length rule of thumb.
As light decreases further, P mode will increase the ISO until the ISO max limit.
As light decreases even further, P mode will show the shutter speed again.

By and large, P mode is a very reasonable exposure solution if you don't know in advance
if you want to spend your "exposure budget" on speed, DOF or noise.

Regards,
--Anders.
01-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #25

Original Poster
That's an excellent explainantion, many thanks!

Dave