Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Yes, the flashes will be set off by anybody's flash. I've used gaffer's tape to put a screen around the remote sensor and swiveled the flash to look straight at my camera. That helps but isn't foolproof. Now, I'm using Cactus V-5 triggers with good results. They can also double as remote shutter release.
does the cactus sync at 1/180?

01-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Why not get a cactus v5 and be done with it?
That would be the easiest solution, but I already bought the Canon RF-602 set with 3 receivers before I learned of the limitation. So I opted to spend another $10 on a Nikon trigger and do a 5 minute modification from junk bin parts instead of spending $140 for 4 Cactus V5s.
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Why not get a cactus v5 and be done with it?
+1... I use the V4's and I'm happy... The V5's get great reviews!!
01-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
does the cactus sync at 1/180?
Yes, it easily can. On other cameras it can go up to 1/4000, so even if you upgrade your cameras to ones with higher sync speed, you will not need to upgrade your triggers.

01-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Yes, it easily can. On other cameras it can go up to 1/4000, so even if you upgrade your cameras to ones with higher sync speed, you will not need to upgrade your triggers.
Good to know, thanks. Will use the RF602 (1 Rx) till it gives out and move to Cactus in the future

I shoot indoors most of the time so I don't desperately need the max sync, but it's a good to have
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That would be the easiest solution, but I already bought the Canon RF-602 set with 3 receivers before I learned of the limitation. So I opted to spend another $10 on a Nikon trigger and do a 5 minute modification from junk bin parts instead of spending $140 for 4 Cactus V5s.
Ah yeah, i understand.

I had a problem with the low trigger voltage of the AF540FGZ, luckily i didn't need so many triggers so it was an easy decision.
01-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not a pro so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

I'd also need light stands, umbrellas/soft boxes, gels and probably more things. It all adds up to huge sums :S

I stumbled upon a photo club last night. They have 2 studios and some gear. No info on what they have, but I've requested a visit (will be next monday earliest). If it turns out they have sufficient equipment and the studios aren't too crowded/booked all the time, then I might skip purchasing and then just sign up there.

I could be a member at the place for at least 3-4 years before the purchasing costs would add up. I feel this might be the most practical thing to do for now. but again, I haven't seen the place yet so I cant say for certain.