Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash gear

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I need to make sure I'm covered to get some YN560 flashes working.

I'm looking into purchasing a bunch of these:
YN-560 (GN58) Flash Pentax DSLR cameras (6934599400436) | eBay

This
RF 602 Flash Trigger for Canon 7D 60D 5DII 3x Rx | eBay

and a single cable ( I need it, yes?)
RF 602 Shutter Connecting Cable for Canon Type C1 | eBay

Am I covered (besides needing some batteries)?

Also, I currently own a Metz 58 AF-2. Will it blend in nicely with the bunch?

01-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For battery's get Eneloops, they are great.. long lasting and much better than regular rechargeable.

As for the rest of the stuff.. You shouldn't need the cable as the wireless triggers connect to the camera and the flashes directly.
01-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds good. But the trigger page states: "Shutter connecting cable is needed" and links to a C1 and C3 cable. I read about C1 cable somewhere else so I picked that one.

Not saying I'm certain about this - I'm not, hence this thread.
01-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I could be wrong but I think that is so you can connect the camera to one of the receivers so you can use the transmitter as a wireless remote

01-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You don't need the cable for flashes, only to remotely trigger the shutter.

http://jarek.smugmug.com
01-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I need to make sure I'm covered to get some YN560 flashes working.

I'm looking into purchasing a bunch of these:
YN-560 (GN58) Flash Pentax DSLR cameras (6934599400436) | eBay

This
RF 602 Flash Trigger for Canon 7D 60D 5DII 3x Rx | eBay

and a single cable ( I need it, yes?)
RF 602 Shutter Connecting Cable for Canon Type C1 | eBay

Am I covered (besides needing some batteries)?

Also, I currently own a Metz 58 AF-2. Will it blend in nicely with the bunch?
Yes, I also own a YN560 and it works great for extra lighting. I'm not sure if the cable is needed though.
01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neat. Thanks for the replies.

01-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You're actually better off with the Nikon version of the RF-602 transmitter, it can be modified easily to sync at 1/180, the Canon version can't. They will both sync at 1/180 if you hold the button down half way on the transmitter while taking the picture, but with a capacitor added to the Nikon version, it will work as it should.
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

you probably dont need to hook up each flash to an rx, since the yn has a slave flash mode. heck, you might not need any triggers as all since theres a s2 mode, though its probably best to get an rx for each flash. check out the newest cactus triggers too
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You're actually better off with the Nikon version of the RF-602 transmitter, it can be modified easily to sync at 1/180, the Canon version can't. They will both sync at 1/180 if you hold the button down half way on the transmitter while taking the picture, but with a capacitor added to the Nikon version, it will work as it should.
could you share some documentation about this please? i have the canon version, learnt to live without 1/180s, but im interested in getting my 1/180s back maybe with another product
01-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You're actually better off with the Nikon version of the RF-602 transmitter, it can be modified easily to sync at 1/180
I missed this. What speed will it sync to?

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
you probably dont need to hook up each flash to an rx, since the yn has a slave flash mode. heck, you might not need any triggers as all since theres a s2 mode, though its probably best to get an rx for each flash. check out the newest cactus triggers too
You may be correct but as I'm very insecure (lack of experience) I feel I must be on the safe side. I have the Metz and it's quiet often it wont trigger because of the angle to the camera. I'd rather not have issues like this.
01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You may be correct but as I'm very insecure (lack of experience) I feel I must be on the safe side. I have the Metz and it's quiet often it wont trigger because of the angle to the camera. I'd rather not have issues like this.
i just got a pair of yn560 and plan to use them in optical slave set off by a metz 48 on a rf602 trigger. i think they should be ok, but the biggest problem is that it will get set off by other people's flashes. could be a good way to share lights with otherphotographers though!
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i just got a pair of yn560 and plan to use them in optical slave set off by a metz 48 on a rf602 trigger. i think they should be ok, but the biggest problem is that it will get set off by other people's flashes. could be a good way to share lights with otherphotographers though!
Yes, the flashes will be set off by anybody's flash. I've used gaffer's tape to put a screen around the remote sensor and swiveled the flash to look straight at my camera. That helps but isn't foolproof. Now, I'm using Cactus V-5 triggers with good results. They can also double as remote shutter release.
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I got 1/90 reliably, sometimes I'd get lucky at 1/125.

could you share some documentation about this please? i have the canon version, learnt to live without 1/180s, but im interested in getting my 1/180s back maybe with another product
The trigger looks for a signal on one of the hotshoe pins to know when you've half pressed the shutter. The Nikon trigger has a layout that lines up with Pentax hotshoe, but Pentax doesn't use that pin for that kind of signal, they use it to send data. So the Pentax hotshoe isn't going to send a steady voltage to wake up the trigger. Adding a small capacitor between that pin and ground will filter this data signal into a steady voltage that will wake up the trigger, I think I used a 10uF 16V standard electrolytic.

This won't work with the Canon trigger, the pin layout is wrong. I was able to buy a Nikon trigger for $10 and it worked fine with the receivers I already had from the Canon kit. Before I learned of this modification, I was using a rubber band to hold the top button of the trigger half way down, which will work with the Canon and Nikon triggers. Some people solder in a switch to accomplish that, but it is less work to just add the capacitor.
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Why not get a cactus v5 and be done with it?