Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
Flash gear

I need to make sure I'm covered to get some YN560 flashes working.

I'm looking into purchasing a bunch of these:
YN-560 (GN58) Flash Pentax DSLR cameras (6934599400436) | eBay

This
RF 602 Flash Trigger for Canon 7D 60D 5DII 3x Rx | eBay

and a single cable ( I need it, yes?)
RF 602 Shutter Connecting Cable for Canon Type C1 | eBay

Am I covered (besides needing some batteries)?

Also, I currently own a Metz 58 AF-2. Will it blend in nicely with the bunch?

01-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 348
For battery's get Eneloops, they are great.. long lasting and much better than regular rechargeable.

As for the rest of the stuff.. You shouldn't need the cable as the wireless triggers connect to the camera and the flashes directly.
01-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
Original Poster
Sounds good. But the trigger page states: "Shutter connecting cable is needed" and links to a C1 and C3 cable. I read about C1 cable somewhere else so I picked that one.

Not saying I'm certain about this - I'm not, hence this thread.
01-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 348
I could be wrong but I think that is so you can connect the camera to one of the receivers so you can use the transmitter as a wireless remote

01-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 671
You don't need the cable for flashes, only to remotely trigger the shutter.


http://jarek.smugmug.com
01-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I need to make sure I'm covered to get some YN560 flashes working.

I'm looking into purchasing a bunch of these:
YN-560 (GN58) Flash Pentax DSLR cameras (6934599400436) | eBay

This
RF 602 Flash Trigger for Canon 7D 60D 5DII 3x Rx | eBay

and a single cable ( I need it, yes?)
RF 602 Shutter Connecting Cable for Canon Type C1 | eBay

Am I covered (besides needing some batteries)?

Also, I currently own a Metz 58 AF-2. Will it blend in nicely with the bunch?
Yes, I also own a YN560 and it works great for extra lighting. I'm not sure if the cable is needed though.
01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
Original Poster
Neat. Thanks for the replies.
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
You're actually better off with the Nikon version of the RF-602 transmitter, it can be modified easily to sync at 1/180, the Canon version can't. They will both sync at 1/180 if you hold the button down half way on the transmitter while taking the picture, but with a capacitor added to the Nikon version, it will work as it should.

01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
you probably dont need to hook up each flash to an rx, since the yn has a slave flash mode. heck, you might not need any triggers as all since theres a s2 mode, though its probably best to get an rx for each flash. check out the newest cactus triggers too
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You're actually better off with the Nikon version of the RF-602 transmitter, it can be modified easily to sync at 1/180, the Canon version can't. They will both sync at 1/180 if you hold the button down half way on the transmitter while taking the picture, but with a capacitor added to the Nikon version, it will work as it should.
could you share some documentation about this please? i have the canon version, learnt to live without 1/180s, but im interested in getting my 1/180s back maybe with another product
01-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You're actually better off with the Nikon version of the RF-602 transmitter, it can be modified easily to sync at 1/180
I missed this. What speed will it sync to?

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
you probably dont need to hook up each flash to an rx, since the yn has a slave flash mode. heck, you might not need any triggers as all since theres a s2 mode, though its probably best to get an rx for each flash. check out the newest cactus triggers too
You may be correct but as I'm very insecure (lack of experience) I feel I must be on the safe side. I have the Metz and it's quiet often it wont trigger because of the angle to the camera. I'd rather not have issues like this.
01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I missed this. What speed will it sync to?



You may be correct but as I'm very insecure (lack of experience) I feel I must be on the safe side. I have the Metz and it's quiet often it wont trigger because of the angle to the camera. I'd rather not have issues like this.
i just got a pair of yn560 and plan to use them in optical slave set off by a metz 48 on a rf602 trigger. i think they should be ok, but the biggest problem is that it will get set off by other people's flashes. could be a good way to share lights with otherphotographers though!
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member
mysticcowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: port townsend, wa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 968
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
i just got a pair of yn560 and plan to use them in optical slave set off by a metz 48 on a rf602 trigger. i think they should be ok, but the biggest problem is that it will get set off by other people's flashes. could be a good way to share lights with otherphotographers though!
Yes, the flashes will be set off by anybody's flash. I've used gaffer's tape to put a screen around the remote sensor and swiveled the flash to look straight at my camera. That helps but isn't foolproof. Now, I'm using Cactus V-5 triggers with good results. They can also double as remote shutter release.
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I missed this. What speed will it sync to?
I got 1/90 reliably, sometimes I'd get lucky at 1/125.

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
could you share some documentation about this please? i have the canon version, learnt to live without 1/180s, but im interested in getting my 1/180s back maybe with another product
The trigger looks for a signal on one of the hotshoe pins to know when you've half pressed the shutter. The Nikon trigger has a layout that lines up with Pentax hotshoe, but Pentax doesn't use that pin for that kind of signal, they use it to send data. So the Pentax hotshoe isn't going to send a steady voltage to wake up the trigger. Adding a small capacitor between that pin and ground will filter this data signal into a steady voltage that will wake up the trigger, I think I used a 10uF 16V standard electrolytic.

This won't work with the Canon trigger, the pin layout is wrong. I was able to buy a Nikon trigger for $10 and it worked fine with the receivers I already had from the Canon kit. Before I learned of this modification, I was using a rubber band to hold the top button of the trigger half way down, which will work with the Canon and Nikon triggers. Some people solder in a switch to accomplish that, but it is less work to just add the capacitor.
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
Why not get a cactus v5 and be done with it?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bunch, cable, canon, ebay, flash, pentax help, rf
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recycling My Junk Into Photography Gear... magkelly Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 2 05-26-2011 12:39 PM
Nightlife: With or W/O flash + appropriate Gear Lodderup Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 11-16-2010 05:48 AM
How to check out used gear? chopath Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 04-26-2010 12:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top