Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

K-5 lens, Sigma DL 70-300, settings

I have a new Pentax K-5 and I just bought a used Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 DL Super macro lens for it. The camera is set up for auto metering and AF,S mode.

I put it on the camera and then turn it on, but I can only use it in AV mode. I have tried other modes as well, but the screen still shows that it is AV mode. I tried TV and SV mode and still shows AV on the LED Screen. I tried pushing the green button but that didn't do anything. I takes great pictures in AV mode, so I guess I can live with that. In my settings menu, on the fourth section (c) I have the option #27 set to "permitted" because I have a couple of Manual lenses. But I even tried with it set to "Prohibitive" and that didn't solve anything, so I just left it on permitted.

Is this a problem with this lens or is this all it will work in? I hope I didn't buy a lemon.

I wasn't able to try it out before I bought. I purchased it on line from an auction house.

Last edited by Gander; 01-03-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Expanded title to provide more information
01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could try wiping the contacts on the Sigma, but that's still a weird occurrence. Does M mode work? I'm assuming it does.
01-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, switching it to M mode, works fine.

I just picked up my camera and discovered that it has an Aperture ring.... who would of thought And guess what I just found... Auto mode, huh, I locked it in to "A" on the aperture and now everything works like it suppose to. The TV, SV, AV, TAV it all works. Wow that was a relief!!! The ring is small, I didn't even see it when I was looking over the lens. Now I feel like a complete NOOB.
01-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Aha, that would do it. Sorry I wasn't much help.

« Exif | Flash gear »