Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

K-5 Freezing After Firmware Upgrade

A couple days ago, I upgraded my K-5's firmware to Version 1.11. Yesterday, my new 100mm 2.8 macro lens arrived. I affixed the lens to my newly-firmwared K-5 and ambled across the street to the city park to test the lens out. I was anticipating a pleasant afternoon. Three shots in, the camera froze. The on/off switch did nothing, the other buttons and controls did nothing. The camera, at that moment, was nothing more than an expensive paperweight.

I took the batteries out and that reset things. Several shots later, it happened again. I took the batteries out again, and it again reset. I went home. The pleasant afternoon I had anticipated was over. Pissed off afternoon was now in full effect.

Both times, just before the camera froze, the autofocus was hunting like mad, trying to lock focus on a moving insect. After the second reset I shot a few more test images, this time on stationary objects, and things were fine. I didn't intentionally try to duplicate the error.

Anyone else have similar problems? I've never experienced this before with my K-5 or K-10d. I hope to never experience it again, but after two freezes in less than fifteen minutes I am not optomistic.

Suggestions? Fixes?

01-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soon there will be firmware v1.12- who knows, this might be one of the bugs it will address!

I've only experienced a crash once, but if you can reproduce the behavior consistently, then we might be onto something.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It would make for a very good test to try to reproduce the issue with a different lens. If it can't be done, I'd suspect it's a glitch associated with that particular macro lens. I think it's unlikely to have anything to do with updating the firmware. Usually, its success or failure is an all or nothing deal.
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can find no such other reports of 1.11 here and since it was with a new lens, just recently received, that had not been tried before I believe it is too soon to conclude that it is the firmware upgrade. Unfortunately lenses can be bad just like any other piece of equipment. Was it the D-FA 100 Macro? Modern lenses are not simply gearing and lenses any longer and the chips, contacts, electronics, etc. in the lens could be the culprit. Try recreating the effect with another lens that you already know has worked fine in the past. If you can not do so then I would be inclined to blame the lens and return it for another copy. Let us know how it turns out.