Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

K-R LCD problem

I got this problem randomly, its kind of intermittent. the camera works like a charm... but when this LCD problem happens, it's a devil....
issue is that sometimes during use... the LCD goes off and won't come back on... no matter changing batteries, changing sd cards... doesn't help... however it fixes itself after sometime... (can be really long time) i can still take pictures though even when the lcd is blank... just that i can preview the taken shots, can't make changes to settings.

anyone got this before or have any resolutions?

01-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

I think that if pulling the battery has no effect, I'd make a wild guess and suggest a hardware issue. Is the camera new and under warranty, or is there the possibility of exchanging it at the retailer?

I don't think that I've ever seen this exact problem described, it can't be common.

You're absolutely sure that you haven't inadvertently turned off the display yourself with the INFO button? Sorry, had to ask.
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fastfrag1981 Quote
can't make changes to settings.
I have no resolutions but might be able to help gather more info leading to a resolution. First, Philoslothical is very correct to make sure that you aren't turning off the display by hitting the INFO button. Assuming that's not the issue...

You can't *make* changes, or can't *see* the changes as you make them? That distinction is important. While the LCD problem is happening, set the mode dial to Av (or any other manual or semi-manual mode), look through the viewfinder, and rotate the rear dial. Do you see the aperture (or other settings) change in the viewfinder display as you rotate the dial?
  • Yes: the camera "brains" are working even though the rear LCD isn't working. The intermittent nature of your LCD problem suggests a bad connection such as a loose cable or bad solder joint.
  • No: the problem is affecting more than just the rear LCD.
01-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
the display is definitely on... i tried pressing the info button many times and still the display ain't showing...

i tried change the dial modes as well but still no display... the dial modes do work though when i look through the view finder.

i have a screen protector thats about 0.5mm thick, some polycarbonate screen protector.... will that affect the ambience sensor on the LCD??? from what i understand when we view through the view finder the LCD goes off right??

01-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fastfrag1981 Quote
i have a screen protector thats about 0.5mm thick, some polycarbonate screen protector.... will that affect the ambience sensor on the LCD??? from what i understand when we view through the view finder the LCD goes off right??
Screen protector shouldn't affect the LCD display. But, since it's easy to remove, take it off to see if it miraculously fixes your problem. As far as I know the K-r does not have an eye sensor to turn off the LCD when you look through the viewfinder.

Live View hasn't been mentioned yet. Press the Live View button while the LCD isn't working. Based on what you've said so far, my guess is that you'll hear the shutter flip as Live View activates but the LCD will stay dark. That would be further evidence of a bad LCD.

If the camera is still under warranty file a claim before the warranty expires.
01-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Screen protector shouldn't affect the LCD display. But, since it's easy to remove, take it off to see if it miraculously fixes your problem. As far as I know the K-r does not have an eye sensor to turn off the LCD when you look through the viewfinder.

Live View hasn't been mentioned yet. Press the Live View button while the LCD isn't working. Based on what you've said so far, my guess is that you'll hear the shutter flip as Live View activates but the LCD will stay dark. That would be further evidence of a bad LCD.

If the camera is still under warranty file a claim before the warranty expires.
hm... i think your right spot on!!!
will send in the camera for servcing!!
thanks for the advice