Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Looking for some nice saturated color 35mm film

I'm really into very colorful, saturated photos. It seems that the two most talked about types are Kodak Ektar 100 and Fuji Reala 100. I know i can always up the saturation in PS, but i don't see digital saturation as full and "warm" as analogue saturation. Or am i just carrying over my audio preferences into the photography world?

Any light shed on the subject would be great!

01-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourite saturated film is Velvia. Lousy portrait film but for landscapes/architecture/macros it's amazing. Slide of course not print. the 2 you mentioned are the best of Negative films, and have the advantage of not being as sensitive to accurate exposure. I usually metered Velvia for iso40 not 50, then had it processed normally. It now comes in a 100 ISO version as well. For more neutral slide Provia from Fuji is better balance for portraits and people
The competing Kodak is Ektachrome E100VS (more Kodak colours but still saturated like velvia and Ektachrome E100G which has a more neutral balance - these are the films Kodak recommend as Kodachrome replacements,
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter

In addition to the great films Eddie mentioned, this Kodak slide film is also very good:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome Extra Color 100 Film

Vivid Colors
KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome Extra Color 100 Film offers bright, bold, saturated colors, exceptional sharpness and very fine grain. It’s the perfect choice when shooting nature, wildlife, and scenics.

- Produces vibrant, saturated colors
- Outstanding sharpness and resolution

Phil.
01-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Phil,

I've seen it mentioned that you shoot film only, does that mean you do your own film processing and printing? I want to do the film processing myself, B&W for now and possibly E6 later. Is there a nearby source for chemicals? If you don't process film yourself, who does good work in Vancouver? Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

01-07-2012, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Phil,

I've seen it mentioned that you shoot film only, does that mean you do your own film processing and printing? I want to do the film processing myself, B&W for now and possibly E6 later. Is there a nearby source for chemicals? If you don't process film yourself, who does good work in Vancouver? Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
No I use a couple labs for processing and don’t do it myself. If I shoot negative film, I get scans done at the time of processing instead of prints. If I shoot slide film I get the lab to do the processing & mounting and I do my own scanning. (On select slides only)

I shoot too many different types of film to try and do it myself, also space is a premium as I live in an small TH. In Vancouver, Beau Photo (6th at Granville) has the chemicals that you need to do your own processing.

Beau Photo Supplies - Cameras, Equipment, Albums, Rentals

For labs I use the following, all are very good and are close to downtown. They all do C41, E6 and B&W processing:

ABC PHOTO - LightJet Imaging Centre

The Professional Digital Photo Lab ~ Full service photo finishing lab located in Vancouver,BC, Canada

Custom Color - Professional Imaging Lab

Phil.
01-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
No I use a couple labs for processing and donít do it myself. If I shoot negative film, I get scans done at the time of processing instead of prints. If I shoot slide film I get the lab to do the processing & mounting and I do my own scanning. (On select slides only)

I shoot too many different types of film to try and do it myself, also space is a premium as I live in an small TH. In Vancouver, Beau Photo (6th at Granville) has the chemicals that you need to do your own processing.

Beau Photo Supplies - Cameras, Equipment, Albums, Rentals

For labs I use the following, all are very good and are close to downtown. They all do C41, E6 and B&W processing:

ABC PHOTO - LightJet Imaging Centre

The Professional Digital Photo Lab ~ Full service photo finishing lab located in Vancouver,BC, Canada

Custom Color - Professional Imaging Lab

Phil.
Thanks very much Phil, for these links. +1
01-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Thanks very much Phil, for these links. +1
No problem, your welcome!

I also shoot B&W slide film that can only be processed at this lab in Denver. It too is highly recommended and they can reverse process most B&W negative film so you get slides back.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide - transparency process + THE ONLY AGFA SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE

Happy shooting!

Phil.
01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
No problem, your welcome!

I also shoot B&W slide film that can only be processed at this lab in Denver. It too is highly recommended and they can reverse process most B&W negative film so you get slides back.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide - transparency process + THE ONLY AGFA SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE

Happy shooting!

Phil.
if i'm not mistaken there is a kit to do it yourself as well, but for this i'd send it out. i like b/w slides

01-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
I just burned through a roll of the Ektar 100. Overall, i like it. Though when shooting at dusk, it def imparts some blue in the mix from the blueish hue of a cloudy dusky day. Here are a few:

Rest can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150444999675947.352228.503295946&type=1

Haven't been able to find the Fuji film anywhere yet.
01-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ComputerControlled Quote
I just burned through a roll of the Ektar 100. Overall, i like it. Though when shooting at dusk, it def imparts some blue in the mix from the blueish hue of a cloudy dusky day. Here are a few:

Rest can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150444999675947.352228.503295946&type=1

Haven't been able to find the Fuji film anywhere yet.

you can always use a filter to adjust the blue at dusk (one of the several grades of warming filter) but i like the effect in your examples

best place for film IMO is

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/
01-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if i'm not mistaken there is a kit to do it yourself as well, but for this i'd send it out. i like b/w slides
There is/was a Fomapan kit to develop their R100 reversal film. The dr5 Chrome process is something they developed, so it would be different.

Phil.
01-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you can always use a filter to adjust the blue at dusk
I thought about that. I'll look into it =o]