Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here is a shot from day before I think not same photo however look at highlighted exif data. Same lens Samyang 8mm. I wonder if this has something to do with it. Although it is still odd that the other shots dont have it.
Thanks for advice.

Attached Images

01-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is what I am thinking. Pictures look like were taken at an art museum and what you are seeing is an art work that is suspended in the air.

Took a close up look and you can see 6 cables going from art work to the upper right hand corner.

Also while looking, I saw at least 4 cables leading down to the lower left hand corner.

This might be an optical illusion type of art work. Depending on where you are standing at when you are looking at it, it might look like whatever the artest was going for, or like in your photo, a bunch of pipes in a mess suspended between two poles.

Have you gone back to where you took the original picture to see if anything is hanging there?

Last edited by bigdavephoto; 01-07-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
01-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Here is what I am thinking. Pictures look like were taken at an art museum and what you are seeing is an art work that is suspended in the air.

Took a close up look and you can see 6 cables going from art work to the upper right hand corner.

Also while looking, I saw at least 4 cables leading down to the lower left hand corner.

This might be an optical illusion type of art work. Depending on where you are standing at when you are looking at it, it might look like whatever the artest was going for, or like in your photo, a bunch of pipes in a mess suspended between two poles.

Have you gone back to where you took the original picture to see if anything is hanging there?
Thanks. Yes was at museum, however there was nothing in that area of sky. The exif states it was shot with 180mm this is not the case(shot with 8mm)
So I am thinking the camera has something to with it, I have been fishing through my 8mm shots and this is the only one. Athough the other shots taken
on the same day with 8mm state in exif 180mm A lens. I also have been outside today with 8mm to see what the exif is normal (8mm 3.5 A lens)
Maybe this is a one off glitch in camera on day. My only worry is if I head out and this happens constantly. I havent seen it in any other shots. Fingers crossed.
God dam ninja's in the machine .
01-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickrea Quote
It definitely looks like some sort of man made object. Almost a 3ds capture of the "Golden Arches".
Thanks, I have no idea what it is.

01-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That is really interesting. Insect wing instantly popped into my head, but after looking more closely the shape looks manmade. The geometry of whatever it is doesn't look like it could be a processing artifact or data corruption.

Some sort of manmade item seems correct. Other have suggested of aerial art suspended by wires. Maybe. I'll add the possibility of something far away being towed across the frame by an aircraft. Maybe one of the lines that extend across the screen is a towline to an aircraft that's out of frame. Or a funky kite. A really big one.

If you can easily back to the same place without too much trouble, print out your photo and ask the staff if they've ever seen something like that. Or email the photo to them if traveling back is an issue.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 01-07-2012 at 09:18 PM.
01-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

What museum were you at?

How long ago did you take the photo?
01-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That is really interesting. Insect wing instantly popped into my head, but after looking more closely the shape looks manmade. The geometry of whatever it is doesn't look like it could be a processing artifact or data corruption.

Some sort of manmade item seems correct. Other have suggested of aerial art suspended by wires. Maybe. I'll add the possibility of something far away being towed across the frame by an aircraft. Maybe one of the lines that extend across the screen is a towline to an aircraft that's out of frame. Or a funky kite. A really big one.

If you can easily back to the same place without too much trouble, print out your photo and ask the staff if they've ever seen something like that. Or email the photo to them if traveling back is an issue.
Thanks. It does look man made. At the time I did not notice anything like that in the sky and I do look around a fair bit prior to taking a shot. The image itself is nothing special, I am just curious as to what it is. The sculpture and surounds has probaly been shot by thousands of people from as many angles. I think its an in camera glitch! my sons were with me and they don't recall seeing that either.

01-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What museum were you at?

How long ago did you take the photo?
Thanks. Brisbane, south bank.September last year. I am now going back through all shots taken with the 8mm and have not come across anything similar yet.
01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First actual shot of alien life observing earth?

I cannot imagine a computer-based digital defect having that fine form. When I've had corruption of a card or just an image file, the corrupted area doesn't come through.

Looking very closely, it seems like very fine wires or cables running down to the 3D appearing gothic archways, for lack of a better way to describe it.

Another wild shot, if you don't like "alien spacecraft with failing invisibility cloak," I notice you're shooting directly at the sun in this shot. Is there any way this could be a fine net of cement at the very edge of your lens being revealed by the intensity of the sun causing some type of intra-optic reflection? Or a projection of a pattern of some type off the large black object?

My favorite answer was "fly wing" but after looking more closely, it doesn't seem like that either.
I know those are far-out ideas....

Are you sure there was no helicopter lifting bridge parts? Look at how most of the arch work is black, but some sides glitter silvery in the sun.

I blew it up really large on my screen... and ... I'm stumped.

If this were closer to April Fools...
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

It was a 3d art work that was suspended above a walkway when you were there.

Image Detail for - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2246524920_8b91296d68_z.jpg
01-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Bingo - nice research work!
01-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After staring at this even more, I say go back to the museum and look around for some newly installed wire-frame outdoor sculpture. The distortion of the 8mm makes me unsure of the actual angle in the sky, but if it is a physical object, it may have been more vertical than it looks on screen.
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Image Detail for - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2246524920_8b91296d68_z.jpg
Wow, perfect!!! Wow....
01-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster

There ya go . Thanks heaps for that, I must have been walking around with head up ones backside. I honestly did not see it. I did not head down that way either, I took pic turned left and continued on. Now we know its not in camera I can relax. Feel Like a fool now.

Once again thanks heaps to bigdavephoto and everyone else for advice. I think we can close this thread.
01-07-2012, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

No need to feel foolish. If you are concentrating on one thing it is very easy to miss something else.

Like I told my sister not to long ago, The best place to hide something is right out in the open.

What I think is amazing is I am 15,000 miles from where you are and I find your needle in a haystack.