Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What causes this

I generally capture one shot and move on. On this day I took 54 exposures, I always format cards before shooting.
The card used is SanDisk Extreme 8gb class 10. The shots before and after then one do not have this artifact ( if that what you can call it).
The other 53 images do not seem to have it. The only PP done is, default camera raw, photoshop no adjustments save for web. Secound pic
is crop of top right hand corner. Could it be a faulty card or some kind of memory issue. Camera K7 and this is the first time I have noticed this
in any shot to date. I have not looked deeper into every shot I have taken. I hope this is a one off thing!! Yes sensor does need a clean
Thanks for advice in advance.

Attached Images

01-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guesses:

1. a fly's wing "left over" caught in a web.
2. a fly's wing "left over" caught in front of the lens.

Do ALL of your 54 pics show a similar thing in the same image area?

JP
01-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That looks like some kind of netting or wires suspended in the air - (from an old sign or banner?) You can see the attachment points to the left & right of that "shape". A wider aperture might not even show it - it's a very fine thread or wire.

jpzk - you might be right, it does resemble part of an insect wing.

Last edited by paulh; 01-07-2012 at 04:24 PM.
01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is very strange. Have you tried taking a white picture at the narrowest aperture? That should reveal any impurities on the sensor. Also you may try changing cards, although it's highly unlikely that any card fault in this world would result in such a recognizable shape on a picture. Think about it.

01-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
My guesses:

1. a fly's wing "left over" caught in a web.
2. a fly's wing "left over" caught in front of the lens.

Do ALL of your 54 pics show a similar thing in the same image area?

Thanks.No only that shot. Lens was clean.

JP
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
That looks like some kind of netting or wires suspended in the air - (from an old sign or banner?) You can see the attachment points to the left & right of that "shape". A wider aperture might not even show it - it's a very fine thread or wire.
Thanks.Thats what I thought too.I am not sure what it is. When shot was taken that area was sky only, no banners, cables nothing but sky!!
I am starting to wonder if something went astray during import to computer.
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
This is very strange. Have you tried taking a white picture at the narrowest aperture? That should reveal any impurities on the sensor. Also you may try changing cards, although it's highly unlikely that any card fault in this world would result in such a recognizable shape on a picture. Think about it.
Thanks. I have done what you have implied, with white card and clear blue sky using same lens, card and camera settings, result nothing like that.
It is definitly recognizable in shot. Odd that its the one.
01-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's highly unlikely that any card fault in this world would result in such a recognizable shape on a picture. Think about it.
+1

I could be wrong but I don't believe this is a problem with the camera or card at all. It doesn't even look like (to me) that it's anything in the air! My "SWAG" is something may have happened with during PP? Layers, maybe?? If possible, have you tried to PP the RAW file again using another program and see if that "artifact" is sill there?
01-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can we have the raw file?

01-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
+1

I could be wrong but I don't believe this is a problem with the camera or card at all. It doesn't even look like (to me) that it's anything in the air! My "SWAG" is something may have happened with during PP? Layers, maybe?? If possible, have you tried to PP the RAW file again using another program and see if that "artifact" is sill there?
Thanks. It is definatly in the raw file. The only PP that was done, open in camera raw no adjustments default settings set to zero, photoshop save for web.
you can see it prior to saving for web. I'm thinking the import from card to computer wents nuts?
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can we have the raw file?
The raw file is to big to post. A little over 15mb DNG.
01-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Forum Member

Looks like a digitized 3d line drawing of a church archway as all the long lines match the perspective of the object...

or we could move this to a "conspiracy theory" thread and come up with all sorts of possibilities.
01-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spenz Quote
Looks like a digitized 3d line drawing of a church archway as all the long lines match the perspective of the object...

or we could move this to a "conspiracy theory" thread and come up with all sorts of possibilities.
Thanks. I been expecting a response of this nature . It is definitly like a 3d tech drawing. As I stated above could an import issue,
although one would assume that all the other shots would have got it as well during import.

Chuckling to oneself I do like the "conspiracy theory" idea though.
How do I capture screen, Show it in Bridge?
01-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You could use any file host for the raw.

Free File Sharing Made Simple - MediaFire
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
https://rapidshare.com/
etc...

It really looks like something real in the shot, to me. Cables or wires of some kind. Did a small plane or helicopter go over while you were shooting? Perhaps it's some kind of dragged antenna?

Otherwise... must be aliens.
01-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

It definitely looks like some sort of man made object. Almost a 3ds capture of the "Golden Arches".
01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You could use any file host for the raw.

Free File Sharing Made Simple - MediaFire
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
https://rapidshare.com/
etc...

It really looks like something real in the shot, to me. Cables or wires of some kind. Did a small plane or helicopter go over while you were shooting? Perhaps it's some kind of dragged antenna?

Otherwise... must be aliens.
Thanks. I just did a screen cap of bridge. I think I have found problem. Have a look at exif data( red highlight). The shot was taken with samyang 8mm.
The other 53 shots have different esposure settings and the same focal length as this one. At the time of shot there was nothing else in frame, Weird.
Attached Images

Last edited by lamented bovine; 01-07-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add photo