Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripod and Arboretum

I'm going to the Dallas Arboretum tomorrow and will be using a tripod for the first time on some shots. Any tips/suggestions I should take in consideration when using a tripod? I've never used one before.

01-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure the camera is well attached, every time. Give it a little shake before you let go to be sure.
Be aware of other people around you, make sure nobody trips over your equipment. Remember, they are looking around not where they are walking.
Be advised that tripods are sometimes prohibited in public places, supposedly for safety reasons. Not sure I would ask, but be aware it might be an issue.
Use mirror lock up, or 2 second delay or remote if you can. Pressing the shutter button causes vibrations even on a tripod.
Turn off shake reduction, (if you use the remote or 2 second delay it is automatically turned off.)
Never walk away from the tripod if other people are around, too easy for somebody to bump it and knock everything to the ground.
Take a sling strap or bag to help carry it if you have one. Sling strap is easy to make if you have some webbing.
01-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My bag has a sling strap on it so that's already covered. I'm assuming shake reduction is in one of the menus? I'll look around for it, and same with the 2 second delay. I don't know what mirror lock up is, care to elaborate?
01-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The 2 second delay, is just that, Its a 2 second delay that starts after the shutter is enabled, so the mirror comes up, 2 second wait until the shutter curtain is pulled back for the exposure. So the mirror up is included in the delay. It in your manual...... on page 145.

The one item that I would call to your attention is the menu. You can only have one item in the menu enabled at any single time. The menu has:
  • single shot
  • multi shot
  • shutter delay (2 or 12 second)
  • IR remote enable
  • bracketing
Pentax did this with my K100 also to a similar degree. Some of these you would like to enable as a group - like shutter delay, remote enabled and bracketing. But you can only choose one. So to get the delay, you must manually depress the shutter and thus not be able to use the IR remote - which is stupid, you would want to use them together.

01-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you sure you can take a tripod in there? I don't know anything about the Dallas one but my local one in San Francisco does not allow tripods, mono pods yes but not tripods. Might want to be sure before you go.
01-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
3-Legged Creature?

Hi Jbuck92,
In addition to the previous recommendations, I'd suggest bringing a cable release. This is a great way to ensure that you won't move the camera when you fire the shutter.
Once you arrive and get inside, move out of the way and set up your gear. Extend the legs of the tripod, attach the camera to the tripod plate (if it has one) or directly to the top of the head. Raise the center post until you have the viewfinder at a comfortable height.
I don't change lenses with the camera on the tripod; Instead I remove the camera, put the strap around my neck and change 'em. Seems safer to me.
As you move from place to place, pull the 3 legs together (so it's like a monopod) and carry it straight up in front of you. Don't tilt the tripod or sling it over your shoulder, you'll clobber somebody.
Bring a rubber band or twist-tie and attach the cable release (button end) to a convenient spot, one where you can locate it while your eye is at the viewfinder. Otherwise it will always be hanging down the full length and be impossible to retrieve.
Keep the legs of the 'pod out of foot traffic and be ready to grab it if someone kicks it; Accidents happen!
Bring a small flashlight. There's never enough light indoors.
Good luck!
Ron
01-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Jbuck92,
In addition to the previous recommendations, I'd suggest bringing a cable release. This is a great way to ensure that you won't move the camera when you fire the shutter.
I believe on the Kx/Kr there is ONLY the IR remote capability and no cable release. That was one item that I really liked about my K100, as it had a cable release capability that did not need to be enabled to work. It also had the IR remote that did need to be enabled via this menu. This was one item that did help me move to a K20 was the inability to have the 2 second mirror up with bracketing. I know Pentax wants to be able to differentiate between the entry level model and the advanced model, however this menu set is not the way to do it - along with removing the wired release capability.

01-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

IR remote is an essential to maximize the quality of your pictures (and no the K-r will not accept a cable release). They can be had for as little as $2-3 from China but I prefer the JJC RM-E7 model for around $7 myself (reviews in the Accessories section).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/showproduct.php?product=1067&cat=157

In addition to the other comments - if your tripod has retractable rubber feet make sure all 3 of them are set for floors (no extended spike) so you don't inadvertently cause any damage to the floors.

01-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Are you sure you can take a tripod in there? I don't know anything about the Dallas one but my local one in San Francisco does not allow tripods, mono pods yes but not tripods. Might want to be sure before you go.
Ours is the same way. Monopods are allowed, but not tripods.
01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have a cable release, and I've never been to the Dallas arboretum but if tripods aren't allowed no biggy, I'll just walk around without one. It's all outdoors though so I think I'll be ok. I'll probably just use the 2 second delay; press the shutter myself carefully and back away.

Any suggestions for camera settings when using a tripod? I know I can use a much slower shutter speed with a tripod. But having never used one, I'm not really sure what kind of shots would call for a tripod (other then getting a flowing water effect).
01-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
I don't have a cable release, and I've never been to the Dallas arboretum but if tripods aren't allowed no biggy, I'll just walk around without one. It's all outdoors though so I think I'll be ok. I'll probably just use the 2 second delay; press the shutter myself carefully and back away.

Any suggestions for camera settings when using a tripod? I know I can use a much slower shutter speed with a tripod. But having never used one, I'm not really sure what kind of shots would call for a tripod (other then getting a flowing water effect).
You can use slower speeds and be more creative with a tripod and still get sharp photos. Your camera can NOT use a cable release but it will use the Infra Red remote. If you don't have a remote I'd get one, as I said they don't have to be expensive and they can also be used, with your tripod, for group photos that include you without the need to run to be in the picture

Best advice is to play with the settings, take a lot of photos of the same thing from the tripod but with one change at a time (e.g., ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, etc.) and see what the effects are on the image (your LCD will not be much help on these for subtle changes). Also, you can try your hand at multiple exposures of the same image and even use the HDR option to see how that turns out for you. Remember, digital makes it cost nothing to experiment.
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
...Any suggestions for camera settings when using a tripod? I know I can use a much slower shutter speed with a tripod. But having never used one, I'm not really sure what kind of shots would call for a tripod (other then getting a flowing water effect).
It's a chance to do some experimenting. Say you have the tripod all set up and have just taken a shot of a flower at f8. It's very easy to see how the shot would look at a different aperture. Set the camera to Av mode, then press the AE-L button to lock the exposure. Then when you turn the e-dial, the camera will change both aperture and shutter speed to maintain the same exposure value. You can quickly take a series of shots at different apertures this way. On your computer later, you can see the effect of those different apertures. You can do the same thing for ISO but on the K-r, it's less automatic (no TAv mode).
01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote

Bring a rubber band or twist-tie and attach the cable release (button end) to a convenient spot, one where you can locate it while your eye is at the viewfinder. Otherwise it will always be hanging down the full length and be impossible to retrieve.

Bring a small flashlight. There's never enough light indoors.
Good luck!
Ron
Two excellent suggestions. I use the twist-tie method, and I have a small flashlight with me.