Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does Shooting RAW+ instead of JPEG impact frames per second?

Hello,

I am just beginning to experiment with shooting RAW+ and postprocessing - but I wonder: if I am usin Continous Shooting, will this reduce the number of frames per second I can record? I am guessing yes, since I am writing more to the card every time the shutter fires? If this matters - I am using a k-x with a class 10 card. Thanks!

01-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
Hello,

I am just beginning to experiment with shooting RAW+ and postprocessing - but I wonder: if I am usin Continous Shooting, will this reduce the number of frames per second I can record? I am guessing yes, since I am writing more to the card every time the shutter fires? If this matters - I am using a k-x with a class 10 card. Thanks!
No ! The frame rate stays the same, but the amount of pics it will take is reduced. for example,
If your camera will take 20 pics at hi speed in RAW
It will prob take 40 in jpg. This is govend by how good the buffer is in individual cameras.
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, the speed of your memory card will make a difference. You pay a bit more for the hi speed cars, but when doing video and multi-shot work, it is necessary! But it only helps up to the point you load up your camera buffer!

Regards,
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

With a slower card it may affect the frame rate. It should be easily apparent with testing -- you can hear it slowing down.

01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
With a slower card it may affect the frame rate. It should be easily apparent with testing -- you can hear it slowing down.
Only when the buffer is full untill that you'll shoot at 4.7fps.