Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Camera Service Pricing

Hey All.

I recently got an e-mail quote on the following repairs. I still need to visit the shop so they can do an actual assessment, but I was hoping to get some feedback in two respects:

1) Opinion of the Price

2) Suggestions for crucial items I can inspect myself to check for BS or just to have an idea of what the issues may be.

Note: I am very NEW, so fairly obvious things would be the most helpful.

Quote: 115 to 140 (canadian $) plus tax, for all of the following:

1) Repair 200mm Pentax K-mount lens with jammed aperture ring. (You can peruse https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/169916-fixed-ap...even-mean.html thread if you are curious about the details)
2) CLA on Pentax ME
3) Repair a shutter that is jammed on an AKArex and have the AKArex CLA'd

Info:
1) Lens is mint, except for the aperture issue
2) The Pentax ME would appear to my beginner eyes to be operating very well. That is to say, I have never experienced a problem. Might not even need it. My only complaint is that there is some dust and garbage in the viewfinder. No aberrations appear on my prints.
3) I know nothing about the AKArex. It was my grandfathers.

Thanks to everyone as always.

Regards,
Dave

01-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on my two interactions around lens and body cleaning and repair those figures seem very reasonable. I spent about $50US for cleaning and repair for an M50 Macro and KEH quoted me around $100 to CLA and replace gaskets on a film camera. Hope that helps.
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I realize that you are in Toronto but there is a retired Pentax tech in Tennessee (Eric) that would give you a repair quote via email if you want to send him one. His email address can be found here ==> Home. I've never seen a bad word said about him on this forum. When I had a aperture ring fixed on an A50 f1.4 he charged me $65US. I think his CLA's for older cameras are in the $40-$50 range but I'm not real sure about that.

Tim
01-11-2012, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You don't say who will be doing the repairs but the price seem fair enough. Getting the jammed aperture ring fixed is a necessity if you want to use the lens but getting the ME CLA'ed when you think it's operating well, seem redundant to me considering that you will never recover the cost of CLA should you decide to sell your camera down the road. I would replace the battery and make certain the meter works, you can compare the meter against your DSLR or a light meter, if you have one. Next open the film chamber and inspect the light seals, if they are soft and gummy you will have to replace them. Do the same for the mirror damper/seal inside the mirror box. If you are not up to doing your own seal replacement, off to CLA it goes.

Check the shutter speed settings by cocking the shutter and firing repeatedly (2 or 3 repetitions per setting) and listen for any differences in the time it takes to open and close the shutter. If the shutter firing sounds irregular, then it's a definite candidate for CLA. The dust in the viewfinder should clear off with a rocket blower or canned air. If the focus screen is removable, you can remove the screen and wash it under warm running water and soap, rubbing the screen with your fingertips, air dry thoroughly and put back in the camera. You can also blow the dust from the prism while the screen is out. You will only need to do this if the dust or grime is not going away by blowing on the focus screen/mirror box.

I don't know anything about AKARex, but most of the steps I've described should apply as well.

Hope this helps,

01-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Excanonfd>> Thats awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I certainly never would have thought of testing the shutter speed that way. As soon as the roll of film in there now is finished I will run through your suggested tests.

In answer to your question, the repair shop is called "Sun Camera" (website: Sun Camera Service - Your Complete Photo, Video, and Digital Camera Repair Center ). My university (Ryerson) has a reputable photography and design department, so I popped in there and asked who they would recommend, and Sun Camera was it.

I definitely have no resale interests, since you are very right: the 30 dollar income from selling it is not worth it. That said, it is my go-to camera at present, so I just want it happy. I think I will ask for a lens-only price when I go see them. Pending their CLA cost I will make a choice if its worth it.

atupdate>> Thanks for the info. Im trying to keep it local, but I will certainly keep him in mind as Im sure to own other Pentax gear in the future as well.

Docrwm>> Your prices put things in perspective. This place almost seems cheap if I can get by at 120.

Thanks,
Dave