Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

K200D no longer autofocuses

Good day all!

I'm new to the forums and signed up out of desperation. I own a Pentax K200D that I use sparingly so it's never been damaged, dropped etc. After a few months stored in the bag, I took it out for a vacation and I suddenly found that the autofocus no longer works. Pressing the shutter button halfway produces a ticking sound every second like a clock. Shooting in manual focus, however, is perfectly fine. Additionally, when checking for dust using Dust Alert, the lens would autofocus to infinity so the motor and gears are still good I assume. I already took it to a service center and they told me that the AF sensor is busted and quoted me approx. $295 for the replacement. Businesses here are well known for dubious practices so I'm not entirely sold on the idea that an expensive piece of equipment breaks itself with no human intervention. So I'm hoping people with experience can help me figure this out.

Cheers!

01-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried cleaning the contacts between the camera and the lens? Sometimes that's the culprit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Had a similar problem with my K100Dsuper, I removed the lens and cleaned the contacts, and then went into the menu and clicked on 'reset', the autofocus started working normally again, and hasn't caused any problems since. I suspect there was some corruption in the software somewhere, possibly as a result of the dirty contacts. Good luck, I hope you manage to get it working without having to pay for servicing, I really thought mine was finished too, but the above seemed to work.
01-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers! I already tried cleaning the contacts, got a bit of dirt out but it still didn't work.

@WindyPics: Did you do the reset before you put the lens back on or after, or does that even matter?

01-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I can't honestly remember now as it was over a year ago, I know I went through all the usual things like leaving the battery out for 30 minutes, but you may need to try all of these things to jog its memory. I suspect I would have left the reset whilst last, but would probably have left the lens off when I did it in case the contacts were playing up.