Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
white clingy stuff on lens rubber rings

Some white clingy dust is holding onto the rubber zoom and focus rings of my DAL kit lens. any idea how to clean it well without resorting to liquid cleaning materials, or damaging the rubber with hard stuff?

01-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

unfortunately I don't have a solution but it kind of looks like sunscreen. A quick google suggests a dry toothbrush might help, brushing in the direction of the grooves.
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just remove the rings carefully then wash them with kitchen detergent and tooth brush will do. No thinner or alcohol please.
01-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
unfortunately I don't have a solution but it kind of looks like sunscreen. A quick google suggests a dry toothbrush might help, brushing in the direction of the grooves.
Tried it, didn't work much. I wonder if it's some sort of salt or something... it just won't come off easy. I'll just try brushing harder, if I can't take the rings and wash them off. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just remove the rings carefully then wash them with kitchen detergent and tooth brush will do. No thinner or alcohol please.
thanks for the suggestion, but... wouldn't the rubber stretch/expand if I did that?

01-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
thanks for the suggestion, but... wouldn't the rubber stretch/expand if I did that?
Not if done carefully. You may use a toothpick to lift the edge carefully then pull it from the body. Don't stretch the rubber and it will maintain its dimension.
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Not if done carefully. You may use a toothpick to lift the edge carefully then pull it from the body. Don't stretch the rubber and it will maintain its dimension.
+1.

I've removed the rubber focus/zoom rings from dozens of lenses and haven't had any problems yet. Be (somewhat) gentle and take your time and you should be fine.