Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using IS with tripod

I know that when using a tripod under normal circumstances you should turn IS off but what if you are using the tripod to photograph birds in flight and are only using it to give you some stability but the head swivels freely?
Thanks for your input.

01-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you are shooting birds in flight, I imagine your shutter speed is going to be well above the range needed for IS. Unless you have a very long lens, then I would still imagine that IS isn't needed - a ball head tripod would remove quite a bit of the small vibrations that IS is designed to counter.
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If you are shooting birds in flight, I imagine your shutter speed is going to be well above the range needed for IS. Unless you have a very long lens, then I would still imagine that IS isn't needed - a ball head tripod would remove quite a bit of the small vibrations that IS is designed to counter.
But wouldn't having his hands on the head grip as well as on the camera instead of using a shutter delay or remote cause those small vibrations that IS is designed for?
01-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If the camera is "moving freely" then effectively it is not on an unmoving tripod. I use it with IS on.

01-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses. I am trying to keep my shutter speed at 1/1000 s or faster and am using a 55-300 mm lens. Taking birds in flight photos are fairly new to me and seem much more within my grasp now that I have my hands on the K-5.

Last edited by slowpez; 01-12-2012 at 02:57 PM.
01-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I pretty much always forget to turn SR off...

Luckily, the Kx turns of SR when put on 2/10sec timer, so I'm good

Unfortunately... I pretty much always forget to turn the timer off...