Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Shake reduction during self-timer/MLU

Why, according to the manual, p143, is the anti-shake prohibited during remote/timed/mirror-up shutter release? I routinely use, on my little Fujifilm T190, the timer+autofocus+shutter to get great results handheld. I think this is as it SHOULD be. Ideally I would be using a tripod - but often don't. A fixable camera firmware issue? The problem essentially, is to remove all manual shake resulting from any manual activity on the camera. The minimal 2 seconds perhaps should be reduced to about 1 second. (A third option)

Len Bradfield

01-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are using mirror up and self timer you are obviously using a tripod. Anti shake is not nesercary.
the anti shake is for hand held use and allows you to hand hold upto about three stops slower shutter speed than would normaly be nesercary.
01-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What's up with the Dr and Mr thread titles? I don't get it.

With MLU shake reduction is automatically disabled.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lhwb Quote
the timer+autofocus+shutter to get great results handheld.
Why would you use the timer when hand holding? Doesn't that mean you need to hold still for even longer? Normally good breath control should have the camera stable at the point you release the shutter, turning on the timer would make it nearly impossible to know exactly when the shutter will release.

Maybe I am missing something and I am always willing to learn a new technique so please let us know your reasoning.

01-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cameras aren't really designed for bizarre shooting habits :-)
01-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It works better for me if the 2 sec. delay disables SR. With the K-7, there's no switch, so SR must be switched with control wheels, in a couple of different ways. If I turn it off, it's not so obvious. But on a tripod, I always remember the 2 second delay, and that disables SR for me. It's pretty clear when I forget to disable the 2 second delay for a later handheld shot. The only trouble I have is in EXIF. All my long lenses are manual, and EXIF uses whatever value was last used for SR.
01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think the idea of using the timer while handheld would be to reduce blur from shake caused by the mirror and from pressing the shutter, just as on a tripod. In theory, you could get better handheld shots this way. I don't know that this is really true in practice.
10-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
ahw

Sorry to revive an old thread, but was wondering if there's a way to override the default behavior of disabling shake reduction when using the timed shutter.

I tried a to take a couple of self pics of myself by holding the camera out with my left hand (you know, the typical teenager-with-iphone self-shot) when we're in situations where I don't have my tripod and I don't want to trust a stranger with my $700 camera and $600 lens...

Obviously not the ideal method of getting professional looking shots, but to me it would make sense to be able to override the default deactivation of shake reduction.

I've also heard of the practice/theory described by Marc--that the act of depressing the shutter button introduces shake that can be mitigated by using the 3-sec shutter in situations where you don't need the shutter activate instantaneously. So I'd think it'd be an odd oversight if it were impossible to activate shake reduction in such a scenario.

10-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I don't know of any way to do that. But also keep in mind that you need to watch the green hand to make sure that SR has 'locked' on before pressing the shutter. Not doing that usually results in worse pictures than if you had SR off. Not sure how you can do that with the camera out at arms length pointing back at you.

Best thing in that situation would be to turn SR off. I leave it off most of the time anyway, it is too easy to start relying on it rather than getting the exposure correct. I only turn it on when I cannot get the shot any other way.