Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 LCD screen weirdness

I have a K5 and twice now I have put in the SD card and it would indicate there was no card installed.. turning it off would leave a few random appearing gray lines in various places on the LCD screen.. even though the camera was turned off. The reolution in both cases was to remove the battery and reinstall the battery.. a simple fix, but somewhat worrysome that something could be going wrong. Has anyone else had a similar experience??
Thanks in advance for any info.. BOB

01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the troubleshooting section...

It sounds like your screen might have been damaged- this can happen if something presses against it very hard.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Adam... The camera works fine and the LCD looks great.. it's just that twice this has happened.. when I re-inserted the SD card it gave indication that there was no card loaded.. then when I took the card out there was a few gray lines on the LCD screen, EVEN when I turn off the camera!! .. this would repeat UNTIL I removed the battery from the camera.. then just re-instal the battery and all is working back perfect.. same card etc.. LCD then looks perfect again.
Because this has happened twice over the past 3 or 4 months it concerns me that something might be going wrong.. just wondering if anyone else was having a similar rare issue.
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Have you try a different card? That will be the first thing to do

01-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Pelham Quote
I have a K5 and twice now I have put in the SD card and it would indicate there was no card installed.. turning it off would leave a few random appearing gray lines in various places on the LCD screen.. even though the camera was turned off. The reolution in both cases was to remove the battery and reinstall the battery.. a simple fix, but somewhat worrysome that something could be going wrong. Has anyone else had a similar experience??
Thanks in advance for any info.. BOB

Are you removing the card without turning off the camera?
01-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A similar thing happened to me only once several weeks ago - some stray elements in the top K-5 LCD remained active even after powering off. I can't remember exactly what triggered this but over time (and after a few cycles of recharging the battery from new) I have never seen this happen again.
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #7

K5 screen

I recently purchased a new K5 and new card.. After I put the card in the screen would not come on. After I turned the camera off some lines stayed on. Took the battery out, re installed and all was fine. Went through this sequence several times, same thing happened. Put a different card in and
all seems fine. Put the ""offending"" card in my KR and seems okay there.

Yes the power was off when I put the new card into the camera. A K5 quirk or something with the card ??

Regards

John A.