Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Well, my advice is DON'T, unless you're ready to buy the whole set... or if you know you are strong enough to resist the temptation of a 2nd one, then a 3rd...

I just want to say, I too have been shooting Pentax for about 2 years and buying lenses for about as long... The OP shouldn't follow blindly any recommendations from here or anywhere else for your lens choices. My personal setup and buying roadmap has already been completely turned-around at least twice. Thanks goodness reselling works well! So IMO, start with the kit lens + one longer (eg DA55-300) or one wider (eg Tamron 10-24, I had it, very cool but a bit on the heavy side for a lens I want to take everywhere everytime, so I switched for a DA15 Ltd...) and then figure out what you like and dislike, what abilities you miss... Everyone's different!
Very good advice! Nobody can tell another person what they need. Also, we can't make our decisions based upon stats. As you found out with the Tamron 10-24...it was a good lens, but not one you wanted to carry everywhere. I was the same way with a 200mm f2.8. For years, I wanted one! Then, when I finally got one at a price I could afford, I found that that it really wasn't an overall improvement over my old 200mm f4 lens. Yes, it was a great lens...but it was also physically bigger (which required a reworking of my camera bag), it was much heavier (which meant I was a lot more reluctant to carry it), and it took a different filter size (which meant buying an entirely different range of filters, unlike my old f4 lens). I know this is a bit of a "Duh!" statement, but, in the end, I came to realize that the only thing the f2.8 lens had going for it over the f4 lens was one f-stop. In all other areas...weight, size, IQ (past f2.8), filter size...it really didn't have that much of an advantage over it's much more affordable stablemate.

01-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
As you found out with the Tamron 10-24...it was a good lens, but not one you wanted to carry everywhere. I was the same way with a 200mm f2.8.
I *do* carry the Tammy 10-24 everywhere, so I guess I'm a perv. But yeah, gaining a (fractional) stop with longer lens requires weight and cash. My fastest 200s are f/3.5 and weigh an average of 630g each. I'm much more likely to *carry* a much slower 200, f/4.5-5.6, averaging 400g. Or better yet, the Enna Tele-Ennalyt 240/4.5 which weighs only 300g. Versus the Tokina 200/3.5, that's 390g / ~14oz difference. Yes, on my upcoming journey, I'll be a real perv and take the Jupiter-21M 200/4 that weighs 950g. But it will mostly be on a tripod.

But I digress. Use whatever is needful. If only a FA*300/3.8 (2.5kg) does the trick, so be it. Shoot many birds and wildebeests and quarterbacks. I'll stick with my FA100-300 (silver, 380g). Which leads to another kit idea: Interrupted coverage. Sometimes I'll just wander with my Tamron 10-24, F35-70, and FA100-300, with some faster primes (28/2, 55/1.4, 85/2) just in case. Are many ways to assemble workable kits.
01-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Well, my advice is DON'T, unless you're ready to buy the whole set... or if you know you are strong enough to resist the temptation of a 2nd one, then a 3rd...

I just want to say, I too have been shooting Pentax for about 2 years and buying lenses for about as long... The OP shouldn't follow blindly any recommendations from here or anywhere else for your lens choices. My personal setup and buying roadmap has already been completely turned-around at least twice. Thanks goodness reselling works well! So IMO, start with the kit lens + one longer (eg DA55-300) or one wider (eg Tamron 10-24, I had it, very cool but a bit on the heavy side for a lens I want to take everywhere everytime, so I switched for a DA15 Ltd...) and then figure out what you like and dislike, what abilities you miss... Everyone's different!
So, I take it that you are saying that, if one buys a Limited lens one will be addicted to Limited lenses from then forward?
01-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
So, I take it that you are saying that, if one buys a Limited lens one will be addicted to Limited lenses from then forward?
That's what happened to me anyway... After the 35 (which I thought was a perfect walk-around lens) I just HAD to save for that 15... And now I need something longer... LtdBA has got me

01-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I *do* carry the Tammy 10-24 everywhere, so I guess I'm a perv.
Hey, not what I said!
The point was: everyone has their different needs and is willing to do more or less... I'm just lazy, don't like heavy stuff :ugh:
01-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I am just starting to build a Pentax kit after unloading my old Canon gear.

K-5. After all the research was done, I actually handled one and compared to most of the offerings from the comp - it was a no brainer! Bought it (body only) 10 days ago... Love it! Plus it was $130 cheaper then I thought it would be (B&H!)

18-135 WR...an upgrade to the 18-55 that of course gives longer range but is also a bit faster in the sweet spot in the middle too. AF is fast, pictures look fine so far. Figured it as a nice walk-around lens to get me going...it is.

70mm/2.4 Limt - my 1st 'add on' will be here soon - should be a killer portrait, and a sweet (and fast) tele.

My next purchase may be a 35mm, though I think the limited may actually be too small (wish it was the same size as the 70 which looks perfect!), or very possibly the DA* 200mm.

My current focus is on swimming pics of my kid (and likely portraits of the team)...the 18-135 works OK for candid stuff, but a little more aperature would really help to get the faster shutters I want in the dim pool lighting. Hoping the 70 (& eventually the $$ 200mm w/its extra reach) will help there.

IF you have any reservations (as I did), I would highly recommend getting into a good store and trying/comparing any and all bodys (and maybe lenses) you might like, including the hot CSCs, the Nikon D7000, the Sony As. Doing so convinced me 100% I wanted the K5.
IS in the body (works! - substantially helps me get clear shots at lower shutter speeds), feature-rich button driven instead of menu driven (reading glasses get real annoying), build quality & 'feel', compact size, high ISO IQ, video capabilities, OVF, price/value, etc etc.

Have fun!

Last edited by jmg257; 01-16-2012 at 08:44 AM.
01-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
IF you have any reservations (as I did), I would highly recommend getting into a good store and trying/comparing any and all bodys (and maybe lenses) you might like, including the hot CSCs, the Nikon D7000, the Sony As. Doing so convinced me 100% I wanted the K5.
IS in the body (works! - substantially helps me get clear shots at lower shutter speeds), feature-rich button driven instead of menu driven (reading glasses get real annoying), build quality & 'feel', compact size, high ISO IQ, video capabilities, OVF, price/value, etc etc.

Have fun!
Great advice... For those who have access to a physical store there's nothing like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
My next purchase may be a 35mm, though I think the limited may actually be too small (wish it was the same size as the 70 which looks perfect!)
I'm sorry, you must be mistaken, the 35 (Macro) is larger than the 70 (though still small). Maybe you were thinking of the 40?
01-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #23

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the replies! They have been very useful for me. I am collecting my K-5 on Thursday

I am buying just 18-55WR (the kit lens) for now. I have also an old 28-80 from my film SLR. Will see if the range makes any difference. I will give myself time to play with the outfit, experience the limitations (BTW: great suggestion. Thank you very much!). I will follow up with questions regarding specific lenses on more appropriate forum when I will be closer to make the purchase. I am noting down the link to this thread since there are so many great suggestions regarding the lenses worth considering. The bottom line is: I will find something for me if I know want I need (as opposed to “I imagine I need …”).

BTW: I understand all DA* lenses are WR?

Since I was only looking at online shops here in Poland and Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR (easy picks) I have missed considering used lenses. Thanks for making the point! Looks like M100/4 and FA 100mm-300mm are good candidates. Anyway, it seems to make sense to purchase used stuff first, to play with new focal range at relatively low cost to gather experience.

Considering AF macro is also a fallout of looking at the new lenses only. My old non AF 28-80 has “macro” mode and I have never needed AF for this kind of shots. I was taking pictures of flowers, sometimes insects.

01-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Congratulations, have fun with your future camera!
QuoteOriginally posted by c3p0 Quote
BTW: I understand all DA* lenses are WR?
Yes, they are.
01-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Thanks, Victor - the 40mm limited - THAT'S the one! (May need to look at the macro though too.)

QuoteQuote:
For those who have access to a physical store there's nothing like it.
Yep - knowing you are gonna buy 'something' and its just a matter of deciding what is a GREAT way to seond a couple hours...like a kid in an (expensive) candy store! After doing so much shopping online, the 1st words out of my mouth at B&H was "holy s&^%!" (said with a big grin!)

Cheers c3 - enjoy!
01-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Hello,

Not much to add. I have just moved from K200d to K5. I was using K200d around 2 years. For the lenses - you will never finally know what you need, unless you shot with it for some time

Since You are in Poland, there are places to rent (like Sigma Pro) for a day or two. This helps in making up decision.

Also Pentax is wonderful for manual lenses - some soviet ones are not so expensive on allegro.pl And here in Russia are even more unexpensive

Cheers and good luck. I am also trying to find my gear (just ordered 43 limited )

Argh, one more thing. here: Flickriver - A new way to view Flickr photos and more... is a great feature to see photo flow made by specific lens. This helped me to decide, what type of feel I am missing in photos.
01-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter

First off welcome to the forum, I also visited and read a lot on this forum before I jumped into my K20D 3 years ago, learned a lot then and still learning from this forum. Second, pay attention to Rio Rico, he is the lens master, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but he has and has had hundreds of lenses and takes the time to know and study them. You may have different needs or shooting habits, but pay attention to what he says, you'll learn.

I'm probably echoing a few others here, but I have some personal recommendations. The DA55-300 is good glass for the money, it's not fast, it does have a bit of slow auto focus, but the quick shift feature really helps there. I also have the D FA 100 WR Macro and it's a winner, the quick shift also helps with that long focus throw. I use the lens as a telephoto more than a macro, it does well at both, it's my only WR lens. I also can vouch for the 35/2.4, a great little lens. Old used lenses can be fun to try and you can re-sell them if they aren't for you.

If I missed it above, you do realize that there is a difference coming from film in focal distance. That 50mm lens is more like a 75mm was in film. I would like to get an FA50/1.4 because they are so good, but I just didn't use the fast manual 50s I had, the 50 was just awkward for me, I much prefer the 35. But that's for you to figure out and have fun doing it.
01-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
First off welcome to the forum, I also visited and read a lot on this forum before I jumped into my K20D 3 years ago, learned a lot then and still learning from this forum. Second, pay attention to Rio Rico, he is the lens master, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but he has and has had hundreds of lenses and takes the time to know and study them. You may have different needs or shooting habits, but pay attention to what he says, you'll learn.
Well shucks, thanks. I must say that while I'm a big frog in this pond, over at the Manual Focus Lenses forum I'm just a small fish. And I can't (and don't try to) give advice on most modern AF zooms and premiere glass -- I'm a cheap bastard with a bargain lens accumulation. But I *have* been shooting a long time, and I can (and do) blather about focal lengths and what to do with them. Although others here do much more than I, and better.

QuoteQuote:
If I missed it above, you do realize that there is a difference coming from film in focal distance. That 50mm lens is more like a 75mm was in film. I would like to get an FA50/1.4 because they are so good, but I just didn't use the fast manual 50s I had, the 50 was just awkward for me, I much prefer the 35. But that's for you to figure out and have fun doing it.
Different strokes for different folks. Some folks can't stand Fifties; some days I'll use *nothing* but a set of Fifties, each for its own purpose. And I have a LOTD (lens of the day) strategy: pick a lens semi-randomly and use only it for a day or ten. So when I'm healthy enough to go out shooting again, my LOTD will be a hunky old slow zoom that's just been waiting its turn.

A trick for learning how various focal lengths look: Tape your kit zoom(s) to a specific FL and shoot for a week. This is how to find which FLs we're comfortable at, or be forced to *become* comfortable with each FL.

The FF vs APS-C difference is the crap.factor, which is about FOV (field of view) changes when the camera chops away bits of the image projected by the lens. Endless arguments over FOV equivalence abound. Suffice that a lens has a narrower FOV on APS-C than on FF, but its focal length doesn't change. Here's a quick table of equivalences per common focal lengths:

APS-C - 135/FF
21mm -- 31mm
24mm -- 36mm (35mm)
28mm -- 43mm ('normal')
35mm -- 52mm (50-55mm)
50mm -- 75mm
55mm -- 82mm (85mm)
70mm -- 105mm
90mm -- 135mm
135mm - 202mm (200mm)

So if you're comfortable with a 35mm lens on a 135/FF camera, use a 24mm lens on APS-C. As it happens, I'm not real enthusiastic about the 35mm-on-APS-C FOV -- so I'm packing extra 35mm lenses, to *make* myself use that FL. Each lens is a unique window on the world; I'm trying to see through as many windows as possible. [Oops, did I just out myself as a stalker?]