Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello Cdurfor,

Unfortunately, the photograph posed by you does not contain EXIF information. Could you post it or post the data about the ISO, aperture and shutter speed?

Alberts

01-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello ScreamingIdiot,

Thanks for the advice. Could you tell me and the others the aperture you use when taking pictures with ISO 400 and shutter speed 1/100?

Alberts
01-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alberts Quote
Hello Cdurfor,

Unfortunately, the photograph posed by you does not contain EXIF information. Could you post it or post the data about the ISO, aperture and shutter speed?

Alberts
Sorry about that. Here's the URL for the Flickr stream with all of the photos. That should provide the required info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45888646@N02/sets/72157624519344825/

Last edited by cdurfor; 01-16-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Insert Link
01-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not certain one can shoot fireworks without a tripod. The time of exposure is necessary not only for light collection, but also to allow a firework to develop. For example, my ground firework shot required 1/4 sec to develop,

whereas aerial shots required between 1/5 - 1.5 secs.

Last edited by cdurfor; 01-16-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: additional text..
01-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

... As fireworks itself are quite bright, I presume that it can be possible to shot them with much shorter exposure (larger EV). My purpose is to capture only the very fireworks without bothering about the background. May be you can suggest the proper exposure value for such a purpose?

Alberts
i don't think a short shutter speed is going to work or you'll only get a brief slice of the burst, ie, a nicely exploded center with short spread, or a well spread burst with missing center, etc. I think the 1.3-3.5sec that i used was necessary to catch as much of the explosion as possible. handheld, these shutter speeds would be unachievable. try it and see what you get. good luck!
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Exposure Times

Hi alberts,
I agree with Mike and Cdurfor, in fact I've tried using a higher ISO to reduce shutter speeds. You don't get the entire display.
For single bursts, typically you can get the trail and burst in 3 seconds, f5.6 to f.8.0, ISO 100. If you don't want the launch tail, just the burst, maybe two to two + one-half seconds.
It takes a bit longer for the entire firework to spread across the sky, and sometimes there's fancy "Trailers" out of each arm which add to the time involved.
So, if you reduce the shutter speed below 2 seconds (roughly) regardless of the ISO and f-stop, you likely won't get the entire display of a single rocket.
Although you may not like hauling a tripod along (who does?!) it will make the trip worthwhile in the quality of the photos. And, you won't be alone! If I see someone else with a tripod, I'll walk over and strike up a conversation. Generally, Photographers are a pretty friendly and helpful bunch. But there are exceptions.
For the finale' I close the f-stop one full stop, which doubles the shutter speed needed for the same exposure value. Then I run 5-6 second exposures to catch multiple bursts.
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 01-16-2012 at 12:49 PM.
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I've always struggled to shoot fireworks, so this thread has been really valuable to me... Cheers to all those who explained with example shots!

I do shoot quite a lot of long exposure shots however, so I really feel the need to 'preach' a little on:
Unfortunately, I do not have a tripod
I firmly believe you have a piece of your camera missing.
Without a tripod exposures slower than 1/20 of a sec become extremely problematic, and your DSLR is capable of so much more... Without a tripod water will never be like silk and you'll never have the pleasure of running around with torches, painting with light, or experimenting with 10 stop ND filters!

Some believe that you must have a massively expensive tripod... Me, I reckon a cheap tripod is better than no tripod... If it can hold the weight of you camera and lens in a breeze it's better than not having it...

I implore you to buy a tripod, even if it's just a gorilla-pod that you wrap around your camera bag strap... I can't imagine not being able to plan and take long exposure shots and I genuinely feel you're missing out!

Heartfelt rant and preach over... Dave done...

05-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4th of July Coming!

Just thought I'd revive this thread, the 4th of July will be upon us soon.
A couple of reminders, pack a good flashlight, it will be pitch-dark after the display and you'll surely want to check around to gather loose lens caps, remotes and other gear.
If you're near water, bug spray! I forgot last year and paid for my mistake.
This year I'm planning to bring a lawn chair and 2 tripods with my K10D and K-7. Once you find a good spot (before sunset), it's a couple of hours of standing up, otherwise.
I also plan to try MikeSF's cardboard-lens-covering trick while the camera is set to "B". Thanks for the idea, Mike!
For any other Denverites, I'll be on the East side of Sloan's Lake for the Edgewater display...see you there?
Ron
05-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #24

I found shooting at a distance, in MF, with a telephoto lens (Pentax 55-300) offers more control. The closer you are to the fireworks, the more you have to guess where they will burst.

Also, shoot JPEG, high speed card, and hi-speed drive mode. Start when the shot is fired and stop after the burst.