Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slightly off-topic, the reasons the new Tamron VC is twice the price of the old one: - made for full frame
- has ring-type AF
- has in-lens stabilisation
- is much better optically and in build quality

I've read reviews of both, tried the no VC version and then bought the new one. The difference between them is like night and day, esp. in the AF department.

02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

When it comes to lens reviews outside of this forum, I find that photozone.de is a great spot to discover which lens is best.
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #18

I'm no expert. I'm a beginner myself, but a simple way to try various focal lengths to see if you like them is an extender tube or or a teleconverter which would allow you to extend your 200mm to 300 or 400mm. Its simple, cheap, and you'll see the impacts of extending focal lengths.
02-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An extension tube will not work as you loose infinity focus. And a TC is not a cheap solution

02-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The 50-200 is indeed not *quite* as good as the 55-300, but it's hardly night and day. You'd never in a million years be able to tell the difference in a typical print, for instance, or viewed full screen. Only zoomed in to 100% and examining carefully would you see any difference, and again - hardly night and day.

Unless your 50-200 is defective, which is also certainly possible. Again, sample shots would help.
I totally agree, Marc. The 50-200 is so compact that it keeps pushing the marginally superior 55-300 out of my bag for travel. Unless I am shooting wide open, I have to look hard to see the difference, but then in low light ideally I'd want a different lens from either of them.
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
It is said a lot that the 55-300 has better IQ... That said (and bearing in mind that I believe I have a good copy) I don't believe there is actually that much in it... Look at images taken with the DA50-200 on PPG and you'll see that outstanding results can be and are obtained with this lens...
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
When it comes to lens reviews outside of this forum, I find that photozone.de is a great spot to discover which lens is best.
So I try to reconcile differences. I like photozone and believe that to be credible and valuable. I give their reviews a lot of weight. I have purchased based on their information. Photozone certainly does differentiate between the two lenses 50-200 vs. 55-300, with their clear preference for the latter.

I cannot tell the difference between each lens' photos when looking over the computer screen. I sometimes think that viewing photos over the internet on MY computer is a poor way of trying to differentiate between the performance capabilities of two lenses. On MY computer neither the resolution or contrast is very good; I just don't think it will let me see the differences between lenses. Next to none of the photos on ppg look very good to me - soft, imprecise images with washed out colors. Doesn't matter what camera/lens combo I pull up - they all look the same.
02-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Unless I'm missing something, that's because they've already been downsized before posting. Unkess there are full sized images available for download as well?
02-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Whenever anyone posts about these lenses, I always like to point out that I've owned both, purchased new, and my 50-200 was notably superior to my 55-300. Also, my old 100-300F (the "bad" version) was notably superior to the 55-300. The 55-300 exhibited slightly inconsistent performance across the field, possibly due to decentering or some other defect. That's not to say that given a sample of enough lenses, more 55-300s will not be superior. But you're only buying one lens, so you have to test whichever lens you get. You may need to purchase at least two lenses in similar focal lengths so you'll be able to make some comparison images. It's more difficult to make practical comparison images from, say, an 18-55 and a 55-300 (except at 55mm, obviously.)

Always buy your lenses where there is a no-questions-asked return policy, and never rely on a manufacturer warranty to resolve performance issues. My admittedly limited experience has been that lens performance of any of these consumer-grade lenses is what it is when the lens comes off the assembly line, and unless it's so horrible that you practically can't see through the lens at all, you aren't going to get a manufacturer to agree that the lens performance is out of spec.

Paul

02-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Burkett Quote
I'm no expert. I'm a beginner myself, but a simple way to try various focal lengths to see if you like them is an extender tube or or a teleconverter which would allow you to extend your 200mm to 300 or 400mm. Its simple, cheap, and you'll see the impacts of extending focal lengths.
A (much) cheaper way is to crop and enlarge the images to varying degrees on your computer. As long as you keep the images reasonably small, you'll see more the perspective difference than image quality differences, and of course perspective would be what you'd be looking for. As pointed out extension tubes are only to enhance close-focus capability, and teleconverters (especially autofocus converters) can be as expensive as an entire lens.

However don't forget that as the focal lengths get longer and apertures get smaller, it becomes more challenging in practice to get good results due to various factors, ranging from camera motion blurring, to atmospheric haze in distance shots.

Paul