Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #1

Autofocus Problems with my K200D

<P>Iv'e had this camera for almost three years. I have never had a problem with it until now. When I put the camera in AF mode, the lens spins back and forth trying to find a focus. The camera will not take a picture just continues to try to focus and never does. I have changed SD card, I have changed batteries, I have changed lenses, I have reset everything to default, I have cleaned sensors, dust etc. Today I took it to Best Buy, spent two hours having the Geek squad look at it. Fist they told me that they could send it off for $35.00 to have it looked at, then they told me that they can't, that the company does not work on this particular camera even though I purchaced it from Best Buy. I called the only camera store in town. They want $370.00 just to send it off. I am stuck and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? HELP !</P>

01-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First make sure the lens contacts are clean on lens and body. They probably are, I have never had to clean mine.

Since you have the problem with more than one lens it's probably the camera that has developed a fault. I could be less expensive to get a used K10D or K20D than get the K200D repaired. I suggest the K10D and K20D because they are weather sealed like your K200D. You can find information on the cameras here:

Pentaxforums DSLR Reviews

Check the market place on this forum - used camera bodies are offered from time to time at a very reasonable price.

The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com
01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Not What I Wanted to Hear

Thank you for the advice. I just wish there was a better way to handle this problem. I can't believe a camera would just stop working like that, I am very disappointed
01-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well look on the bright side.
You now have a great MF camera

I'm confident that if you keep your eyes open, you could grab a very nice one off eBay to replace it. Then you'll have two. A main and a backup(for parts etc).

If its of any help we've owned a K200D camera and it served us flawlessly for many years.
I've since given it to my sister who's been using it for over two years also. And so I think they are pretty durable insofar as wear and tear goes. But.... there's always the off chance that something could go wrong too, so I guess it's worth keeping that in mind also.

Take care, and don't let it get you down.
I've always kept a few dedicated MF Pentax bodies on hand(even a K-5).

01-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try mapping the focus function to the 'OK' button. The instructions to do this is in the manual. It's a long shot, but give it a try.
GP
02-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks anyway....it didnt work. I;ve decided to send it off for repair. It was worth a shot.
02-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you probably already know, C.R.I.S Repair (Pentax authorized repair service) will give you a *free* estimate - you pay return shipping - $12.50 I think - if you decide it's not worth it to get it repaired.

I've owned a K200D - very nice camera - only reason I don't have it still is I upgraded to a K20D. Good luck.
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sdipiazza Quote
thanks anyway....it didnt work. I;ve decided to send it off for repair. It was worth a shot.
It is a very reliable dSLR. I have never owned it but I do keep note on problems and reliability. Also I think C.R.I.S will surprise you in the cost to repair. And if they do repair they do a great job. The tech won't just throw in a part its tuned to factor spec and cleaned up. Hope all goes well.