Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #1

Metz 44 and K-r sync speed

Hi hope I can get some enlightenment, as to what if anything I am doing wrong.

I am only new into DLSR, long since packing my film SLR away, I decided to get back into it and bought a K-r to start me off again. I have also recently added a Metz 44. The problem I am having is slow shutter speed for normal flash sync. The K-r seems to meter the ambient light, then takes the photo, firing the flash. So I get photos with slow shutter speeds, 1/30, 1/20, 1/8.... It's a problem if the subject is moving even a little. I thought the flash would sync at 1/180, and control the flash output? I'll confess I have never used a P-TTL, but was expecting behavior similar to my old SLR and flashgun.

How do I get a higher shutter speed without full manual settings. If I put it on the sports photo mode the shutter increases to 1/180 , but just taking some pics at a party shouldnt require setting to sports mode... surely the 'P' setting should work?

I am using the camera in 'P', Flash is in TTL mode (button on the back), the flash camera setting is in 'Manual'...

Thanks for any help... I'd really like to hear from anyone with the same (K-r/Metz 44) combination to understand if theirs is the same

Thx
Rob

01-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robboa Quote
Hi hope I can get some enlightenment, as to what if anything I am doing wrong.

I have also recently added a Metz 44. The problem I am having is slow shutter speed for normal flash sync. .... It's a problem if the subject is moving even a little. I thought the flash would sync at 1/180, and control the flash output? .......

How do I get a higher shutter speed without full manual settings. ... surely the 'P' setting should work?

I am using the camera in 'P', Flash is in TTL mode (button on the back), the flash camera setting is in 'Manual'...

Thanks for any help... I'd really like to hear from anyone with the same (K-r/Metz 44) combination to understand if theirs is the same

Thx
Rob
It is quite simple: If you want automatic meetering and fast shutter speeds you will have to use your camera in Tv-mode (set at a shutter speed at 1/180s or slower as you desire). I guess you have been using P- or Av-mode? In that case you leave it to the camera to guess what sync speed you want.

I am a happy owner myself of the Metz 44 AF-1 used on my K200D, and in respect of the sync behaviour you have observed there is nothing peculiar about neither camera nor flash.
01-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a Metz 44 too, and I was using it with a K-x before I got my K-5. Your flash and camera sound fine to me.
I still believe the easiest way to use it is to go full manual (M mode) on the camera, set 1/180 and your desired F-stop and ISO just once at the beginning of your session, then enjoy the party. Your exposure will still be good at each different shot, because it will be controlled by the flash's PTTL (in the limit of its power of course).
If you use Tv, your aperture will probably always be wide open.
I haven't tried this, but probably the Green mode (full auto) would also give the results you expect (1/180).
01-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree with victordeamorin that in many instances "M" mode is the safest way to maintain control (after all YOU are the photographer - not the camera) and acheiving reasonably cosistent results.

01-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

M mode isn't that scary whit flash on p-ttl, you under expose with 1 or 2 stops and the flash fills in the rest.
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

The use of M is the best way to solve your problem. You can do a number of lighting options at this point. Setting the camera to 1/180th is first thing that can be done. I like to use lower shutter speeds at times so the background light will mix in a bit with the flash. At this point, you run into some of the problems you are having now but you are in control of the camera at this point. I shot a picture for a newspaper story years ago that used pushed film (Tri-X shot at 1600 ISO) and bounced flash to balance out a night time scene where the indoor and outdoor lighting had to come together. The exposure was 1/15th @ f2.8. In that case it worked well for me. This may not work in all picture taking situations.
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok... Thanks for the replies... awesome!!

I tried playing with the other settings as you have suggested shutter priority and M, and with the forum replies am now better understanding how this is working! I took some shots on Tv and the flash adjusts the exposure to the right amount, in TTL.

This is good, I just need to get used to it... as I said, my first time using TTL I think I'll use more the 'M' and Tv modes rather than 'P' when using the flash, that seems to give me what I am after.

I was worried about equipment issues, but seems its just a user-error!

Thanks for all the replies!!

01-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
I have a Metz 44 too, and I was using it with a K-x before I got my K-5. Your flash and camera sound fine to me.
I still believe the easiest way to use it is to go full manual (M mode) on the camera, set 1/180 and your desired F-stop and ISO just once at the beginning of your session, then enjoy the party. Your exposure will still be good at each different shot, because it will be controlled by the flash's PTTL (in the limit of its power of course).
If you use Tv, your aperture will probably always be wide open.
I haven't tried this, but probably the Green mode (full auto) would also give the results you expect (1/180).
+1 to this

Just learning flash photography with my K-r Aperture is king - Shutter speed controls exposure of background for creative effect

PIc one - stopped way down to hide my background

Pic two - exposed for the background, and filled with flash.
01-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #9

Nice looking flash work. It is nice to get a handle on creative flash work. It opens up the world to save some picture taking situations and make them work better then other methods when not using flash.