Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

IST DL Flash

Me again, trying to figure out what seems to be a problem with taking flash pictures of people at night, When I am in auto mode, flash goes up but takes awhile to auto focus and take picture, the flash sometimes will flash couple of times befores actually shooting. Is there something I am doing wrong? Seems hard to take flash pictures at night, frustrating.

Thanks for all the help.

01-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are not doing anything wrong - and neither is your camera!

The "pre-flashes" that you see, are AF-assist flashes because autofocus has a hard time seeing anything in the dark. It is meant to be that way and I trust you will soon come to appreciate that.
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks I needed some encouragment, photos are perfect with the flash, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again
01-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Try taking the same picture with the flash down. It probably won't even be able to focus, and if it does, it will probably hunt around a lot more trying to find focus. Then you will see what you gain from those pre flashes. As far as it taking a while, putting it simplified, the camera can not see well enough to focus (it relys on contrast to focus so if it is dark it has a hard time seeing that contrast).

01-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks againso much for your help