Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax k-r vs. the K20D

I can get either the K-r or the K20D for roughly the same price. This will be my first dslr. Which one would you go for given the choice and why?

01-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well here is one from a K20D fanboy who has 53,000 shutter activations on it and about to send it in for it last under warranty cleaning and checkup. Buy the K-r its better in almost every way except for WR and perhaps a few other features (or not). Its a good generation ahead of the K20D. That being said nothing wrong with the K20D.
01-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah ok, seeing as the K-r and the K-x are quite similar would you say that the K-x is better than a K20d?
01-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I will assume you have done your homework and you know the differences between both. I have both and enjoy them equally because they are different but most importantly the end result is much the same. The K20 probably requires a little more finesse in pp or a little more exposure accuracy at capture to achieve the best from it (learning curve or frustration, depending on how you view things). The K-r is far more forgiving, the Sony sensor has the right mix of MP’s , high iso, low noise and dynamic range. Also with the more modern features (video, live view AF) and menu layout, it is probably the better choice. The K-r has enough better features to trump the K-x. K-x over the K20, no not in use. Good luck.

01-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by olliedell Quote
I can get either the K-r or the K20D for roughly the same price. This will be my first dslr. Which one would you go for given the choice and why?
These are very different types(intent) camera's.
Any idea what type of photography you'd be interested in doing?
01-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Landscape (seascapes, moors, that sort of thing), outdoor sports (rugby/surfing), and maybe a bit of nature photography but that's going to be very rare. Just to throw another spanner in the works, it seems I can get a K7 for roughly this price... Thoughts? I am keen to learn so a steep learning curve isn't a massive worry for me.
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Landscape (seascapes, moors, that sort of thing), outdoor sports (rugby/surfing), and maybe a bit of nature photography but that's going to be very rare. Just to throw another spanner in the works, it seems I can get a K7 for roughly this price... Thoughts? I am keen to learn so a steep learning curve isn't a massive worry for me.
If high ISO isn't a concern then the K-7 would be hands-down the better camera.
It has all the characteristics of a professional body and the perfect transition toward a K-5.

01-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20d if you need a cheap, robust (weatherproof) camera with very good IQ
K-7 if you shoot in the fog and rain or quiet places (churches) but don't shoot in the dark
K-r/K-x if you do
01-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When you say shoot in the dark, I could capture decent sunsets/sunrises using a tripod and a long shutter speed with the K7 right?
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you say shoot in the dark, I could capture decent sunsets/sunrises using a tripod and a long shutter speed with the K7 right?
I don't have the K-7, but I think that you should be able to. I'm referring to the criticism of the K-7 that it's low light/high ISO performance was not any better (and some would say worse) than the K20d. In nearly every other way (AF speed, video, other features) the K-7 is better than the K20d.
01-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am keen to learn so a steep learning curve isn't a massive worry for me.
The K-r/K-x Is arguably the best "beginner" camera on the market right now.
Like me I see you did your research and would assume that you like reading and learning about stuff as well.
I have the k-r and within 2 months I'm already looking for a faster way to get into the features that I need. like E-dials, faster access to stuff like ISO adjustments/F-stops/Shutterspeed a better viewfinder and other stuff.

If you're just gonna be a "shutter bug" and won't be messing with manual/Av modes etc the K-r/K-x will keep you happy, but if you're gonna be like me who likes to mess with stuff, likes how to find out how "this" and "that" works, or how "this" and "that" was achieved then IMO the k-7 is a much better camera for you.

But I bet, if you really get into photography that you will get yourself a K-5 in 3 - 6 months. (K-5/ Kr/K-x has better ISO capabilities than the K-7 or K20d)
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I am starting to think the K7 might be a better bet, just got to wait for one to pop up somewhere for the right price. Will the increase in MP mean I'll need to invest in better glass than if I owned a K-r?
01-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah ok, seeing as the K-r and the K-x are quite similar would you say that the K-x is better than a K20d?
Here is why too much IMO over camera choice can be a bad thing. Its not worth seeking a K-7 versus a K20D if you can get the K20D with decent shutter count (always look at shutter activations) and good price. I am a hardcore user of 3 years with this camera and can take pics of BIF or anything with no problem. I did not upgrade to the K-7 as it offered no IQ benefit and other factors.

Is it really worth it for a beginner to pass up a good buy on a K20D and wait for the K-7 and or pay more for it, no.

The K20D is a solid camera that will let you grow and have fun. That being said nothing wrong with the K-7. You can't lose just pick the one that makes you happy. Perhaps hold each if possible.

It would be wrong for us to make you search and pass up on a K20D that is issue free and odds are last you for years and for what you want to pay.

Last edited by jamesm007; 01-19-2012 at 06:31 AM.
01-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The way I see it, you can get a new K-r body for 500 - 600? a mint K20d body for 450 - 550? and a mint K-7 body for 500 - 600? They will all perform and will keep you satisfy, but for the extra 50 - 100 dollars from k20d to a k-7? you be the judge (; (This is an investment you're making, a camera that you'll be using for months or years and I'm pretty sure it'll pay itself before you upgrade. )

As for your MP and glass question, (Correct me if I'm wrong) But I look at it this way, A glass is a glass and MP won't really affect you unless you want to print a BIG ASS poster of your photo (: we re-size our photos anyway so I bet the extra MP that you'll get out of the K-7 won't be needing "better glass" vs the K-r.

Let us know what you've decided to get. And do yourself a favor if you get your camera and would like to invest on a cheap awesome lens get an M 50mm 1.7 (I love that thing, I got it for 30 + shipping and it's awesome. It's a manual prime, it doesn't have any auto focus and stuff like that, but it's built like a tank and has an awesome personality I LOVE IT.)
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah there is a kx for about £260 on the members market, a k20d for about £320 on ebay, a K-r for £380 and I've seen a K7 go for about £300 body only.. I know I will love any of those cameras and am over thinking this but I am stuck as to what to go for.