Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are your concerns? What's on your mind right now?

01-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well if I was to go for a cheap k-x I could buy a few cheaper, older primes but I'm not sure it would last me long. I've struck the K-r off my list now. The k20d/K7 would probably last me a while as they are aimed at the enthusiastic photographer (I'm a beginner but I love to learn so these two really appeal). So I'm stuck between buying a K-x and a range of lenses and look to upgrade in a few months or go for the K7/K20d and collect lenses over time. The K7 route does seem a bit more sensible as I'll learn what lenses I'll want over time. If you were in my position what would you go for?
01-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you think that the phrase "small is beautiful" is something to be taken seriously, than K20D is not for you
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hahah I am a fairly big chap, I shouldn't have any worries handling a larger camera

01-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If your aim is to get cheap old manual primes, I would go get the K20d/K7 because they have a much better viewfinder (That I personally think you'll be needing if you're gonna be shooting manual focus, unless you wanna use liveview)

Also it depends what you want to shoot and where you wanna shoot? I personally think that you'll only be needing Kx's ISO capabilities if you're planning to shoot moving targets on an area where there is crappy light. (like no to little light at all.) But if you're gonna be shooting static targets with a tripod or monopod then the K20/K7 will satisfy your photography.

If not then K20/k7

K7's advantages over the k20d

*Faster FPS
K7: High 5.2 vs K20d 3
K7: Low: 3.3 vs K20d 2.3
I like having a fast FPS cause I can just go "spray and pray" shoot 4 shots in less than one second and pray that one is a keeper.
*K7 has HDR K20d doesn't (On body HDR it's pretty cool, but you don't really have control over it)
*K7 has video K20d doesn't
*K7 has a faster lens adjustment vs the k20d's debug mode which I don't think is that user friendly.
*K7 has a better LCD compared to k20d (correct me if I'm wrong)

There are lots more, but I think it's gonna be up to you to decide if it's practical to spend more on a good/mint K7body vs a K20d
And don't get me wrong, the K20d is an awesome body. I even follow this one guy at deviantart.com who shoots with the k20d and his work is just plain awesome.(I'll get you a link when I get home)

And if you're worried about glass, I say spend on a few that you know are awesome and you know that you're gonna use vs something that's cheap but is weak and you don't even touch (Ask me how I know.)
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olliedell Quote
If you were in my position what would you go for?
I won't be able to say. But If I can go back in time and start all over again; I would get myself a good mint K-7 with a low shutter count, get an M50 1.7 save-up a bit get a DA35 2.4 > FA 43 or DA 40 > M 100 2.8 or the 4 macro >DA 15> Get a decent versatile zoom lens which is gonna be my "Only because I have to use it lens" and finally invest on another body(Probably a K5 ). And as you can see, I shoot primarily with prime lens, because I like the IQ and it just makes me smile when I shoot with primes. I shoot because I love to shoot not because I have to (Like covering a party or something like that, If that's the case where IQ or being artistic doesn't really matter then I shoot with zooms "because I have to". Each and every person has their own different styles, you'll find your own in time) Good luck (;