Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dirty densor on K-x

I've been reading a few thread regarding cleaning the sensor on my K-x but I can not find any reference as to how to access the sensor from behind the mirror.

I am finding the same spot on every photo and I know its the sensor. A few weeks ago I found spots in the view finder and I tried blowing it out but it seems to have got worse. Now the sensor is dirty.

How do I access the sensor and what is the 'sensor shake' I see in the threads. My owners manual doesnt mention either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

01-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Page 285 to 288 of the manual.

All cleaning functions are accessed in the Tool menu (4). The sensor cleaning menu allows you to raise the mirror to use a Rocket Blower. Do not use canned air. Stubborn dust may require the Pentax sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1.
01-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you got a rocket blower? Its the first thing you should try. Rocket-air

There is a menu option called Sensor cleaning which will flip up the mirror and keep it in raised position, you can then access the sensor to blow out any dust.
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
I just ordered a blower. I assume using my air compressor on a low setting would not be a good idea ! I also just orderd a 'pen' like device with a brush on one end and a sticky thing on the other. I also found the Pentax O-ICK1 online and ordered it. I'll try blowing it off first. I also have alot of dust either on the mirror and or viewfinder that will not blow off. Any suggestions there?
thanks for the help

01-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

I was seeing a few specks when I looked through the view finder on my Kr. It was behind the focus screen. I ended up pulling the focus screen out and rocket blowing it clean. It was very easy, just be careful.
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #6

JeffJS's post was a great help to me:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Pentax O-ICK1 =

Haven't had any dust on either my K10 or K7 since cleaning their sensors with this nearly a year ago. I think it must have cleaned the sensors so well that dust isn't sticking any more.
01-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobbyA Quote
I also have alot of dust either on the mirror and or viewfinder that will not blow off.
It may be on the focusing screen, or up in the viewfinder, but it won't be on the mirror. If it were, it wouldn't appear in a focused way when looking through the viewfinder. As claimed4all mentioned, it's easy to flush dust out from the focusing screen by opening it, but the screen itself is highly susceptible to scratches, so be careful of that. Dust in the viewfinder is only an annoyance anyway, it doesn't affect pictures at all. The only thing that will affect your photos is dust on the sensor.

01-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks All. The focusing screen is dirty but it doesnt bother me much. The dirt on the sensor is a pain and each photo has to be photoshop'd to remove the blur from the photo.
The inside of the camera is obviously dusty now seeing that its showing up everywhere. Is there any way of cleaning the inside of these things, like a camera vacum? lol
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a small, sable fur artist's brush and a blower. Some people use just the blower, some use it in conjunction with a natural (soft - no camel hair please ) brush or a synthetic one. I gently brush the sensor, then use the blower, take a test pic and then repeat as needed until it's clean enough. I only use an unused brush, careful not to touch the business end of it (so as not to get oils on it), and replace it often. I may be a bit paranoid about that, it should be possible to clean brushes for this with any solvent that will dissolve natural skin oils.

Don't worry about brushing the mirror box itself. The blower should take care of that. Your only concern is the sensor itself, and using a blower to remove the loosened sensor dust. I started doing it this way because a blower on its own wasn't quite enough, but I didn't want to get into wet cleaning unnecessarily. It's working so far.

Remember that dust you see in test pics is both reversed and mirrored from its actual location, so a speck in the upper right of your test shot will actually be in the lower left of your sensor.
01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I use an air mattress style pump so I can use one hand to hold the nozzle steady I find its more accurate and pushes a tonne of air. They come with different size nozzle attachments.
01-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #12

To date I have only used the Dust Alert on my K200D and a Rocket Blower to deal with internal dust. This site has information about the different methods of sensor cleaning as well as some cautions. You may find it of use.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

Regards
01-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't use any form of mechanical air blower on your sensor, you can damage it severely. Canned air typically has chemicals in it that are not safe for the sensor. Many compressors allow a small amount of oil from the compression process into the air stream and that oil can severely damage your sensor.

Just pay $8-10 and get a Rocket blower that uses hand strength in combination with room air to blow particles off the sensory. They work great and are often listed as the Best Money ever spent on an accessory when such lists are started here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171466-wh...lped-most.html

IF that doesn't work then you can go to the Pentax O-ICK1 "lollypop" to clean or you can have a professional do it for you.

Good luck.
03-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Noticed a spot on my pictures from my K X,ran the dust removal a couple time with the lens still on the camera,took a test shot,had about a dozen or so spots.Removed the lens,ran the dust removal a couple times with camera pointed at the floor,used the blower,took another test shot.All the new spots were gone but the original one is still there.This one looks like it might be from condensation from moving the camera from different temperatures.Guess I need to get a sensor cleaning kit.Can anyone recommend a good one that don't cost so much as the Pentax one?
Thanks,
Jake